Print-friendly version of this page
Camden High Street is the local high street for Camden Town.
It features major music venues at either end (KOKO, the former Camden Palace, at the southern end and the bridge over Regent’s Canal at the northern end).Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Camden High Street
User unknown/public domain
Albany Street, NW1 Albany Street runs from Marylebone Road to Gloucester Gate following the east side of Regent’s Park. Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Augustus Street, NW1 Augustus Street - after Ernest Augustus, King of Hanover, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham. Camden Road, NW1 Camden Road is a main road running from Camden up to Holloway Road. Caversham Road, NW5 Caversham Road was named for 18th century landowner, Rev Robert South of Caversham, Cannon of Chris College, Oxford. Chester Terrace, NW1 Chester Terrace is the longest unbroken facade of the neo-classical terraces in Regent's Park. King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North. Leighton Road, NW5 The route of Leighton Road followed an original path from the Assembly House Inn on Kentish Town Road to Maiden Lane. Parkway, NW1 Parkway is one of Camden Town’s older roads - originally called ’The Crooked Lane’. Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927. Rochester Mews, NW1 Rochester Mews is a cobbled through road with a cul-de-sac section off Rochester Road.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.