Campden Street was built by William Ward on land jointly bought with John Punter in 1822. Ward constructed houses here in a relatively relaxed way over the next 30 years. In about 1850 he sub-contracted the work of building the remaining houses to Henry Gilbert, who was both a builder and a pub owner, and to William Wheeler, a local builder. Ward died shortly afterwards.
The street is on a slight slope. The north side, at the western end, has a uniform terrace of three-storey houses stuccoed up to first floor which abut immediately onto the road. The eastern section of the north side has more varied architecture, mainly houses with attractive ground floor bay windows in differing styles.
The houses on the south side of the street are slightly smaller, mainly brick, with stucco up to the first floor. On the same side is Byam Shaw House, a particularly attractive and unusual block of flats.
The eastern section of the street has some small specialist antique shops and also the Churchill Arms
which has a profusion of hanging flower baskets which have won many awards in the past.