Fentiman Road, SW8
Road in/near Oval, existing between the 1830s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Fentiman Road is named after local mid-19th century developer John Fentiman.
Fentiman Road is a broad, attractive road aligned northwest to southeast and has a leafy residential character.
On the north side, Vauxhall Park has a long frontage enclosed by railings and lends a leafy character to this end. Along from the park gate are the red brick, Tudor-revival Noel Caron Almshouses (1854) which have been established locally since the 17th century. Next to these are a row of 1830s stucco villas.
The south side of Fentiman Road is characterised by late 19th century terraced housing in two distinct groups.
Forming an attractive landmark at the junction with Meadow Road
is the Cavalry Church, red brick in the Perpendicular style.
User unknown/public domain
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.