Lloyds Wharf, SE1

Road in/near Bermondsey

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG ()
(51.50078 -0.07241, 51.5 -0.072) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Road · Bermondsey · SE1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000
Lloyds Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.

xx




Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 20 Sep 2020 13:01 GMT   

Pepys starts diary
On 1 January 1659, Samuel Pepys started his famous daily diary and maintained it for ten years. The diary has become perhaps the most extensive source of information on this critical period of English history. Pepys never considered that his diary would be read by others. The original diary consisted of six volumes written in Shelton shorthand, which he had learned as an undergraduate on scholarship at Magdalene College, Cambridge. This shorthand was introduced in 1626, and was the same system Isaac Newton used when writing.

Reply
Comment
Tricia   
Added: 27 Apr 2021 12:05 GMT   

St George in the East Church
This Church was opened in 1729, designed by Hawksmore. Inside destroyed by incendrie bomb 16th April 1941. Rebuilt inside and finished in 1964. The building remained open most of the time in a temporary prefab.

Reply
Born here
jack stevens   
Added: 26 Sep 2021 13:38 GMT   

Mothers birth place
Number 5 Whites Row which was built in around 1736 and still standing was the premises my now 93 year old mother was born in, her name at birth was Hilda Evelyne Shaw,

Reply
Lived here
margaret clark   
Added: 15 Oct 2021 22:23 GMT   

Margaret’s address when she married in 1938
^, Josepine House, Stepney is the address of my mother on her marriage certificate 1938. Her name was Margaret Irene Clark. Her father Basil Clark was a warehouse grocer.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Comment
The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Mar 2021 15:05 GMT   

A plague on all your houses
Aldgate station is built directly on top of a vast plague pit, where thousands of bodies are apparently buried. No-one knows quite how many.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 21 Apr 2021 16:21 GMT   

Liverpool Street
the Bishopsgate station has existed since 1840 as a passenger station, but does not appear in the site’s cartography. Evidently, the 1860 map is in fact much earlier than that date.

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
Born here
Carolyn Hirst   
Added: 16 Jul 2022 15:21 GMT   

Henry James Hirst
My second great grandfather Henry James Hirst was born at 18 New Road on 11 February 1861. He was the eighth of the eleven children of Rowland and Isabella Hirst. I think that this part of New Road was also known at the time as Gloucester Terrace.

Reply
Reply
Jonathan Cocking   
Added: 30 Aug 2022 13:38 GMT   

Tower Bridge, SE1
The driver subsequently married his clippie (conductress).

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bridge House Built around 1705 and demolished in 1950, Bridge House in George Row was once surrounded by the Jacob’s Island rookery.
Jacob’s Island Jacob’s Island was a notorious slum in Bermondsey during the 19th century.
Turk’s Head The Turk’s Head was one of two Wapping pubs of the same name.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Gardens, SE1 Abbey Gardens is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Abbey Street, SE1 Abbey Street takes its name from Bermondsey Abbey which was situated between Bermondsey Square, Grange Walk and Long Walk.
Arabella Street, SE16 Arabella Street runs off of Old Jamaica Road.
Arc House, SE1 Arc House is a block on Tanner Street
Archie Street, SE1 Archie Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Attilburgh House, SE1 Attilburgh House is a block on Abbey Street
Barnham Street, SE1 Barnham Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Bell Yard Mews, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Bell Yaroad Mews, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Ben Smith Way, SE16 Ben Smith Way follows the line of the former longer northern section of Stork’s Road.
Bermondsey Wall West, SE16 Bermondsey Wall West is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Bevington Path, SE1 Bevington Path is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Bevington Street, SE16 Bevington Street was named after Samuel Bourne Bevington, the first mayor in 1900 of the new Bermondsey Borough Council.
Boss Street, SE1 Boss Street runs north off Tooley Street.
Bridewain Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Brunswick Court, SE1 Brunswick Court is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Butlers & Colonial Wharf, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Butlers Colonial Wharf, SE1 Butlers Colonial Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Butlers Wharf Building, SE1 Butlers Wharf Building is a location in London.
Butlers Wharf, SE1 Butlers Wharf is a location in London.
Canvas House, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Cardamom Building, SE1 Cardamom Building is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Chambers Street, SE16 Chambers Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Chartes House, SE1 Residential block
Cinnamon Wharf, Cinnamon Wharf lies within the postcode.
Commercial Pier Wharf, SE1 Commercial Pier Wharf is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Copper Row, SE1 Copper Row is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Copperfield House, SE1 Copperfield House, like much of the Dickens Estate, is named after a fictional character.
Curlew Street, SE1 Curlew Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dartle Court, SE16 Dartle Court is a location in London.
Devon Mansions, SE1 Devon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dockhead, SE1 Dockhead is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dombey House, SE16 Dombey House was one of the first blocks built on the Dickens Estate.
Druid Street, SE1 Druid Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Duchess Walk, SE1 Duchess Walk is a location in London.
East Lane, SE16 A street within the postcode
Fair Street, SE1 Fair Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Flockton Street, SE16 The route that Flockton Street follows dates from before the eighteenth century.
Freda Street, SE16 Freda Street runs off of Marine Street.
Gainsford Street, SE1 Gainsford Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Gainsforoad Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Gedling Place, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
George Row, SE16 George Row is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Grange Walk, SE16 Grange Walk is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Hellings Street, E1W A street within the E1W postcode
Hickman’s Folly, SE1 Hickman’s Folly was a very old Bermondsey street which disappeared as the Dickens Estate was built.
Hobbs Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Horselydown Lane, SE1 Horselydown Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
India House, SE1 India House is a building on Curlew Street
Jacob Street, SE1 Jacob Street is named after Jacob’s Island, the infamous area which preceded it.
Jamaica Road, SE1 The SE1 section of Jamaica Road dates only from the 1960s.
Jamaica Road, SE16 Jamaica Road was named after a house which sold limes, oranges and rum.
John Felton Road, SE16 John Felton Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
John Roll Way, SE16 John Roll Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Kimmins Court, SE16 Kimmins Court is a block in Arabella Street.
Lafone Street, SE1 Lafone Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lilley Close, E1W Lilley Close serves modern developments in Wapping.
Little London Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Llewellyn Street, SE16 Llewellyn Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Long Walk, SE1 Long Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Luna House, SE16 Luna House is a block in Bermondsey.
Maggie Blake’s Cause, SE1 Maggie Blake’s Cause is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Maguire Street, SE1 Maguire Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Maltby Street, SE1 Maltby Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Maltings Place, SE1 Maltings Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Marine Street, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Mill Stream Road, SE1 Mill Stream Road (or Millstream Road) was demolished to make way for the Arnold Estate.
Mill Street, SE1 Mill Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Millennium Square, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
More London Riverside, SE1 More London Riverside is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Neckinger Mills, SE1 Neckinger Mills is a location in London.
Neckinger Place, SE1 Neckinger Place was a small turning off Druid Street.
Neckinger Street, SE1 Neckinger Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Neckinger, SE16 Neckinger is a road in the SE16 postcode area
New Concordia Wharf, SE1 New Concordia Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Old Jamaica Road Business Estate, SE16 Old Jamaica Road Business Estate is a commercial estate.
Old Jamaica Road, SE16 Old Jamaica Road originated as Prospect Row in the late eighteenth century.
Parker Building, SE16 The Parker Building lies on Freda Street.
Parkers Row, SE1 Parkers Row is a street which has diminished in significance since it was first built.
Phoenix Wharf Road, SE1 Phoenix Wharf Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Pickwick House, SE16 Pickwick House is a block on Flockton Street
Plough Alley, E1W Plough Alley appears on the 1860 map.
Pope Street, SE1 Pope Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Potters Fields, SE1 Potters Fields is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Providence Square, SE1 Providence Square is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Queen Elizabeth Street, SE1 Queen Elizabeth Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Radcliffe Road, SE1 Radcliffe Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Raven Wharf, SE1 Raven Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Riley Road, SE1 Riley Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Rope Walk, SE1 Rope Walk is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Scott Lidgett Crescent, SE16 Scott Lidgett Crescent is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street, SE1 Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Shad Thames, SE1 Shad Thames is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Springalls Wharf Apartments, SE16 Springalls Wharf Apartments is a block on Bermondsey Wall West
St. James’s Road, SE16 St. James’s Road is a long Bermondsey street running south from Jamaica Road.
Stanworth Street, SE1 Stanworth Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Stevens Street, SE1 Stevens Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Sugar Lane, SE16 Sugar Lane is a location in London.
Sun Passage, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Sweeney Crescent, SE1 Sweeney Crescent is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Tanner Street, SE1 Tanner Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tapley House, SE1 Tapley House was one of the first buildings of the Dickens Estate.
The Circle, SE1 The Circle is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
The Globe Rope Walk, SE1 The Globe Rope Walk is a road in the E14 postcode area
The Queens Walk, SE1 The Queens Walk is a location in London.
Thetford House, SE1 Thetford House is a block on Abbey Street
Three Oak Lane, SE1 Three Oak Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Thurland Road, SE16 Thurland Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Toussaint Walk, SE16 Toussaint Walk is a walkway along a former part of Stork’s Road.
Tower Bridge Court, SE1 Tower Bridge Court is a block next to its namesake in Southwark.
Tower Bridge Piazza, SE1 Tower Bridge Piazza is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tower Bridge Road, SE1 Tower Bridge Road leads to Tower Bridge.
Tower Workshops, SE1 Tower Workshops is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Unity Wharf, SE1 Unity Wharf is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vine Lane, SE1 Vine Lane is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vogans Mill, SE1 Vogans Mill is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Wade House, SE1 Residential block
Wade House, SE1 Wade House is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Waterside Close, SE16 Waterside Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Weavers Lane, SE1 Weavers Lane is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Wolseley Street, SE1 Wolseley Street was formerly called London Street.
Zanzibar Court, E1W Zanzibar Court lies along Wapping High Street.

NEARBY PUBS
All Bar One Butler’s Wharf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Anchor tap This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Brew by numbers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dean swift This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Draft house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kings arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Pommeler’s rest This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The gregorian This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Turk’s Head The Turk’s Head was one of two Wapping pubs of the same name.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Bermondsey

The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century.

Pope Constantine (708-715), in a letter, granted privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede (as Peterborough was known at the time).

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

Bermondsey appears in the Domesday Book and it was then held by King William (the Conqueror). A small part of the area was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain - William’s half brother.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded in 1082 as a Cluniac priory, with St Saviour as the patron.

The monks from the abbey began to develop the area, cultivating land and embanking the river. They put a dock at the mouth of River Neckinger, an adjacent tidal inlet. Records show this was called St Savior’s Dock, after their abbey.

Also owning land here was the Knights Templar. They gave a names to one of the most distinctive streets in London - Shad Thames, a later corruption of ’St John at Thames’.

Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby. The name ’Tooley Street’ was another corruption - this time of St Olave’s’ Street. It was located in the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Southwark. In Tooley Street, wealthy citizens and clerics built houses.

After the Great Fire of London, Bermondsey started to be settled by the well-to-do. It took on the character of a garden suburb - especially along Grange Road.

A pleasure garden - the Cherry Garden - was founded in the area in the 17th century near to the current Cherry Garden Pier. In 1664, Samuel Pepys visited ’Jamaica House’ in the gardens and wrote in his diary that he had left it "singing finely". Later, from the garden, J.M.W. Turner painted The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), showing the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

The church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street was completed in 1690, although a church has been recorded on the site since the 13th century. This church survived both 19th-century redevelopment and the Blitz unscathed. It is an unusual survivor of this period in Bermondsey and in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the River Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa resort - then all the rage. The name Spa Road commemorates this - situated between Grange Road and Jamaica Road.

Bermondsey’s fortunes took a huge nosedive as the Industrial Revolution took hold. Certain industries were deemed too inconvenient to be carried on within the small area of the City of London and banished east - both north and south of the river. One such that came to dominate central Bermondsey was the processing of leather and hides.

Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, become a notorious slum. The area around St Saviour’s Dock and Shad Thames - known as Jacob’s Island - was one of the worst in London. In Charles Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist, the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’ an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob’s Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob’s Island.</CITE>

In 1836, London’s first passenger railway terminus was built by the London & Greenwich Railway at London Bridge. The first section of the line to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. But Spa Road station closed in 1915.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with both the expansion of the river trade and the connectivity that the railway brought about. Bermondsey Town Hall - a mark of its civic emergence - was built on Spa Road in 1881. To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey’s three and a half miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler’s Wharf.

Many buildings from this era survive (around Leathermarket Street) including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale’s tannery, though now disused, on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Company was established in 1857 at Dockhead by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname ’Biscuit Town’ for Bermondsey. They continued baking here until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Wee Willie Harris - usually credited as the first British rock and roller - came from Bermondsey. He also worked in Peak Freans before his fame.

Bermondsey’s riverside suffered severe damage in Second World War bombing. A couple of decades later, the wharves became redundant following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict, many of the wharves were redeveloped by the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London.

In 1910, Millwall F.C. had moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane, having previously played in Millwall on the Isle of Dogs. They kept their original name despite playing on the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. The New Den is now back to being called The Den.

In 2000, Bermondsey tube station on the Jubilee Line Extension opened.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
Byward Tower, 1893
TUM image id: 1556882285
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The building with the canopy is Bridge House, George Row, Bermondsey, in 1926.
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Folly Ditch, Jacob’s Island in the 19th century. Jacob’s Island was a notorious Bermondsey slum, cleared in the 1860s.
Credit: Old and New London (published 1873)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Enid Street, SE16 looking from Rouel Road (1938) The houses had railway arches just outside their back doors. The original Lion pub can just be seen on the right corner and at the far end on the same side was The Windsor Castle. Both pubs survived the pre and post war slum clearance of the houses by Bermondsey Borough Council. The Lion was replaced in 1961 on the corner of Spa Road but The Windsor was demolished c.1965 and never rebuilt. The same view nowadays would include high modern flats to the left.
Licence:


Jamaica Road (1900s) Despite being a road of eighteenth century origin, the western end of Jamaica Road, Bermondsey only dates from the 1960s.
Old London postcard
Licence:


Old Jamaica Road, SE16 (2012) Part of the Bermondsey Spa development, the curved building in this view includes a health centre. Bermondsey Spa is a major housing development in the area between the London-Greenwich Railway line and Jamaica Road, in the early years of the 21st century. The terraced housing that occupied most of the site was cleared by the 1950s.
Credit: Geograph/Stephen Craven
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Parker’s Row, SE1 on 19 May 1956
Credit: Serge Lansac/Picture Post/Hulton Archive
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Spa Road station (c.1900) Spa Road station was one of the first of London’s railway stations, built by the London & Greenwich Railway (later the South Eastern and Chatham railway) in 1836
Licence:


Tower Bridge (2021) Sometimes, during the various lockdowns, various normally-busy roads have been photogenically quiet
Credit: Instagram user
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Wolseley Buildings, Wolseley Street, Bermondsey (1926) Tenements such as these were a common feature of inner south London in the late 19th and early 20th century. Typically they had been built by private landlords, some with a philanthropic inclination.
Licence:


Panorama of Tower Bridge from Shad Thames on a sunny morning.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Colin
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy