In 1896, Schweppes opened a large mineral water factory at the top of Wilberforce Road
in West Hendon. It was a site chosen near an artesian well and because of its proximity to Edgware Road and the Midland Railway.
Deerfield Cottages were built for Schweppes's employees. St. John's school, West Hendon was enlarged to cater for the children of workers at the new Schweppes's factory and there were 359 pupils by 1906. Licence:
The original factory was situated behind a side branch of the Welsh Harp Reservoir which was infilled. The factory was expanded up to the Edgware Road after this.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Silk Stream Silk Stream is just over 4 kilometres long and lies entirely within the current London Borough of Barnet. St John, Hendon St John is a church built by Temple Moore (1856–1920) was an English architect who was born in Tullamore, Ireland. Ramsay Road, NW9 Ramsay Road was the northernmost of a series of disappeared streets in West Hendon. Ramsey Close, NW9 Ramsey Close consists of two storey semi-detached houses built in the 1980s. Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road. Station Road, NW9 Station Road was formerly called Burroughs Lane and led from the Burroughs to Edgware Road south of Silk Bridge.
West Hendon - or New Hendon to the older folk. Or The Hyde to those older folk's grandparents.
West Hendon was a settlement within that part of the ancient parish of Hendon known as the Hyde, and is now a part of the London Borough of Barnet.
It was formally known, from 1878–1890, as New Hendon, a small railway development on the Edgware Road. Before the 1830s there were three farms, Upper and Lower Guttershedge (east of the road) and Cockman’s in the Wood (west of the road) and an inn, The Welsh Harp. Between 1835 and 1838, the Brent Reservoir was constructed by damming the Brent and the Silk brooks and flooding much of Cockman’s Farm. The water was used to supply the Grand Union Canal. At its greatest extent, in 1853, it covered 400 acres but was dramatically reduced to 195 acres in the 1890s. Subsequently it has been reduced to 110 acres. It contains enough water to fill 3 million baths and in 1991 was believed to contain 10,000 lb of fish.
The residue of Cockman’s Farm became Woodfield House, home to the Roman Catholic Passioist Fathers (1852 and 1858). The house was demolished in 1940 and the site used by the Borough of Hendon and its successor the London Borough of Barnet as a plant nursery.
Originally The Harp and Horn (c1750s), The Welsh Harp was rebuilt in 1859 and again in 1937, before finally being pulled down in 1970 to make way for the M1. During the 1960s, it was known as The Lakeside Scene and hosted some of the great rock and blues bands of the day, such as the Yardbirds. From 1859 until the end of the century it was run by the Warner brothers, and the reservoir became a centre for all sorts of sporting events such as ice skating, swimming and angling; it was, until 1878, the Kingsbury Race Course and the first mechanical hare in greyhound racing was used there in 1876. By 1850, there was a second public house, the Upper Welsh Harp. At its height in the mid-1880s crowds in excess of 25,000 people could be expected on a Bank Holiday weekend.
Two railway stations were opened, both of the Midland Railway: Hendon (1868), and Welsh Harp (1870). A local builder called Bishop laid the first brick of a new terrace called Neeld Terrace (1881), which heralded the start of New Hendon. Brent Vue was built on land originally owned by the Midland Company. In 1885, the Baptists had a mission hall and their present hall was opened in 1930. By 1886, there were 200 new houses and the Anglican church of St. John’s was built.
In 1896 Schweppes opened a large mineral water factory, and the present Anglican church of St. John’s was established in Algernon Road
. With a planned tram line along the West Hendon Broadway due to open in 1904, Welsh Harp station was closed in 1903, and West Hendon became a thriving Edwardian retail district until overshadowed by Golders Green.
During World War II, on 13 February 1941, the Luftwaffe dropped an SC2500 Maximum Heavy Explosive bomb (equivalent to two V2 rockets), killing 80 people and destroying 40 houses in an area west of the Edgware Road. This area was completely redeveloped in the 1960s.
In the neighbourhood...
Click an image below for a better view...