Print-friendly version of this page
Stirling Corner is the road junction of the A1 Barnet Bypass and Barnet Lane.
A Mr Stirling opened a garage at the junction - hence both Stirling Corner and Stirling Way
This dual carriageway was part of a 1920–4 road improvement programme that was mentioned in parliament in 1928 as "hopefully being completed by the end of the summer".
The A1 northbound carriageway passes the entrance to Scratchwood, an area of ancient forest which is now a Local Nature Reserve, then crosses the A411 from Watford to Barnet at the Stirling Corner roundabout.
A proposed link road at this roundabout, estimated at £22.8m in 1987, would have provided access to the M1, but the plans were subsequently abandoned. The link had been planned during discussions for the Hendon Urban Motorway, which was intended to carry the M1 all the way down to Hyde Park Corner as part of the London Ringways scheme; the interchange would have been junction 3 on the motorway.
Past Stirling Corner, the A1 skirts Borehamwood, before turning northeast and running through open countryside to Bignell’s Corner.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Home of Rest for Horses The Home of Rest for Horses was situated at the corner of Furzehill Road and Barnet Lane, near Borehamwood. Manor Farm Manor Farm was originally a farm in Boreham Wood. Stirling Corner Stirling Corner is the road junction of the A1 Barnet Bypass and Barnet Lane. Farriers Way, WD6 Farriers Way was built on the site of the former Home of Rest for Horses. Hyver Hill, EN5 Hyver Hill is an exclusive road off of the Barnet By Pass near Stirling Corner. Percheron Road, WD6 Percheron Road like many roads on the site of the Home of Rest for Horses has an equine theme. Shetland Close, WD6 Shetland Close, like other roads on the ’Horses Home’ estate was named after a breed of horse.
High Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.
High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.
The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.
The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.