Blackbird Hill (1906)

Image dated 1906

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.56505 -0.26361) 

Blackbird Hill (1906)

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Photo taken in a southeasterly direction · * · HA9 ·
July
16
2017
Blackbird Hill is image in 1906 and then part of Neasden.


Given the road entering from the left and the building in the background, this is a suggested location for this 1906 photograph.

Blackbird Hill was named after Blackbird Farm. We don’t know when there was first a farm here. There were at least five “villagers” cultivating small areas of land in this part of Kingsbury at the time of the Domesday Book in 1085.

The large field behind it is shown as being leased to John Page, gentleman, by St Paul’s Cathedral (‘The Deane of Powles’), while the land on the opposite side of the main track was held by Eyan Chalkhill, who also had a watermill on the River Brent.

By the time of John Rocque’s map of 1745, there were farm buildings and orchards on both sides of Old Church Lane. These would come to be known as the upper and lower yards of Blackbird (or Blackbird Hill) Farm. Whereas the original farm, or smallholding, was probably growing a mixture of crops, mainly to support the farmer’s own family, by the mid-18th century the map shows most of the fields as pasture land. This was probably for raising livestock, some of which would be driven to London to help provide meat for the capital’s fast-growing population.

At the start of the First World War in 1914, Blackbird Hill Farm was still rural, as was much of Kingsbury, even though it was classed as an Urban District for local government purposes. When foot and mouth disease broke out at Blackbird Farm in 1923, and all of the cows had to be shot, that was the end of it as a working farm. Although the Noad family continued to live in the farmhouse, the rest of the land was sold off for housing.


Main source: Brent Council
Further citations and sources






NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Blackbird Hill (1906) Blackbird Hill is image in 1906 and then part of Neasden.
Blackbird Hill Farm Blackbird Hill Farm was situated on the corner of Birdbird Hill and Old Church Lane.

NEARBY STREETS
Adams Close, NW9 Adams Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Alderton Close, NW10 Alderton Close is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Barnes Wallis Court, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
Barnhill Cottages, HA9 Barnhill Cottages is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Bilsby Lodge, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
Birchen Close, NW9 Birchen Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Birchen Grove, NW9 Birchen Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
Blackbird Hill, NW9 The route of Blackbird Hill has been in existence since the Domesday Book.
Boyles House, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
Braemar Avenue, NW10 Braemar Avenue is a street in Willesden.
Bruno Place, NW9 Bruno Place is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Buddings Circle, HA9 Buddings Circle is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Chalkhill Road, HA9 A few wealthy people lived in Kingsbury, one of whom being John Chalkhill, an Elizabethan poet.
Chalklands, HA9 Chalklands is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Coombe Road, NW10 Coombe Road is a street in Willesden.
Daisy Close, NW9 Daisy Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Demeta Close, HA9 Demeta Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Gervase Close, HA9 Gervase Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Harp Island Close, NW10 Harp Island Close is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Havenwood, HA9 Havenwood is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Janson Close, NW10 Janson Close is a street in Willesden.
Kelly Close, NW10 Kelly Close is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Kingsgate, HA9 Kingsgate is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Lyndhurst Close, NW10 Lyndhurst Close is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Mount Drive, HA9 Mount Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Neasden Lane North, HA9 Neasden Lane North is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Neasden Lane North, NW10 Neasden Lane North is the extension of Neasden Lane beyond the North Circular Road.
Neasden Lane North, NW9 Neasden Lane North is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Old Church Lane, NW9 Old Church Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Old St Andrew’s Mansions, NW9 Old St Andrew’s Mansions, named after the nearby church, were designed by E. Trobridge for T.W. Heath & Co Ltd of Neasden.
Page Avenue, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
Poplar Grove, HA9 Poplar Grove is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Press Road, NW10 Press Road is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Quainton Street, NW10 Quainton Street is one of a series of streets named after Metropolitan Railway stations in Buckinghamshire.
Queens Walk, NW9 Queens Walk is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rawlings Crescent, HA9 Rawlings Crescent is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Runbury Circle, NW9 Runbury Circle is a street in Kingsbury.
Salmon Street, NW9 Salmon Street is a street in Kingsbury.
Saxon Road, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
The Close, HA9 The Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
The Drive, HA9 The Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
The Leadings, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
The Mount, HA9 The Mount is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Tudor Close, NW9 Tudor Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tudor Gardens, NW9 Tudor Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Verney Street, NW10 Verney Street is a street in Willesden.
Walton Avenue, HA9 Walton Avenue is a road in the HA9 postcode area


Kingsbury

Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.

After the formation of London Transport in 1933 this branch became part of the Metropolitan line and was later transferred to the Bakerloo line in 1939 then to the Jubilee line in 1979. The design style is similar to that of other Metropolitan Railway buildings of the same period rather than to the concrete and glass style used at the same time by the LER group.

In common with other nearby Metropolitan Railway stations (e.g. Harrow-on-the-Hill, Neasden, Queensbury) there is an element of fiction in the station name; the area is properly within the eastern extent of Kenton (Kingsbury Road at this point was originally part of the eastern end of Kenton Lane) and Kingsbury proper is actually closer to Neasden station.

Although now only served by deep-level tube trains, the section of line serving the station is built to surface gauge, and trains to that larger LU loading gauge occasionally pass through.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Brent Town Hall
TUM image id: 1106
Blackbird Hill (1906)
TUM image id: 3117
Silk Bridge
TUM image id: 10005
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
Welsh Harp
Credit: Unknown
TUM image id: 1534456927
Wembley Stadium, 1947
TUM image id: 1556882897
Oakington Manor Farm
TUM image id: 1603469997
Print-friendly version of this page