Tower Bridge Court, SE1

An area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1980s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5037 -0.07619, 51.503 -0.076) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Block · Bermondsey · SE1 ·
July
31
2021
Tower Bridge Court is a block next to its namesake in Southwark.

xx




Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 20 Sep 2020 13:01 GMT   

Pepys starts diary
On 1 January 1659, Samuel Pepys started his famous daily diary and maintained it for ten years. The diary has become perhaps the most extensive source of information on this critical period of English history. Pepys never considered that his diary would be read by others. The original diary consisted of six volumes written in Shelton shorthand, which he had learned as an undergraduate on scholarship at Magdalene College, Cambridge. This shorthand was introduced in 1626, and was the same system Isaac Newton used when writing.

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
jack stevens   
Added: 26 Sep 2021 13:38 GMT   

Mothers birth place
Number 5 Whites Row which was built in around 1736 and still standing was the premises my now 93 year old mother was born in, her name at birth was Hilda Evelyne Shaw,

Reply
Lived here
margaret clark   
Added: 15 Oct 2021 22:23 GMT   

Margaret’s address when she married in 1938
^, Josepine House, Stepney is the address of my mother on her marriage certificate 1938. Her name was Margaret Irene Clark. Her father Basil Clark was a warehouse grocer.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply
Comment
Johna216   
Added: 9 Aug 2017 16:26 GMT   

Thanks!
I have recently started a web site, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. There can be no real freedom without the freedom to fail. by Erich Fromm. eeggefeceefb

Reply
Comment
The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Mar 2021 15:05 GMT   

A plague on all your houses
Aldgate station is built directly on top of a vast plague pit, where thousands of bodies are apparently buried. No-one knows quite how many.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 21 Apr 2021 16:21 GMT   

Liverpool Street
the Bishopsgate station has existed since 1840 as a passenger station, but does not appear in the site’s cartography. Evidently, the 1860 map is in fact much earlier than that date.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 27 Jul 2021 14:31 GMT   

correction
Chaucer did not write Pilgrims Progress. His stories were called the Canterbury Tales

Reply
Lived here
Linda    
Added: 18 Feb 2021 22:03 GMT   

Pereira Street, E1
My grandfather Charles Suett lived in Periera Street & married a widowed neighbour there. They later moved to 33 Bullen House, Collingwood Street where my father was born.

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
Born here
Carolyn Hirst   
Added: 16 Jul 2022 15:21 GMT   

Henry James Hirst
My second great grandfather Henry James Hirst was born at 18 New Road on 11 February 1861. He was the eighth of the eleven children of Rowland and Isabella Hirst. I think that this part of New Road was also known at the time as Gloucester Terrace.

Reply
Reply
Jonathan Cocking   
Added: 30 Aug 2022 13:38 GMT   

Tower Bridge, SE1
The driver subsequently married his clippie (conductress).

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bridge House Built around 1705 and demolished in 1950, Bridge House in George Row was once surrounded by the Jacob’s Island rookery.
Jacob’s Island Jacob’s Island was a notorious slum in Bermondsey during the 19th century.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbots Lane, SE1 Abbots Lane was named in memory of the medieval Abbots of Lewes.
Archie Street, SE1 Archie Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Artbrand House, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Barnham Street, SE1 Barnham Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Battle Bridge Lane, SE1 Battle Bridge Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Bermondsey Street, SE1 Bermondsey Street was named for the Abbey of St Saviour’s.
Bermondsey Wall West, SE16 Bermondsey Wall West is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Bevington Path, SE1 Bevington Path is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Black Eagle Yard, SE1 Black Eagle Yard is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Black Swan Yard, SE1 Black Swan Yard is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Boss Street, SE1 Boss Street runs north off Tooley Street.
Brunswick Court, SE1 Brunswick Court is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Burr Close, E1W Burr Close is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area.
Bursar Street, SE1 Bursar Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Butlers & Colonial Wharf, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Butlers Colonial Wharf, SE1 Butlers Colonial Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Butlers Wharf Building, SE1 Butlers Wharf Building is a location in London.
Butlers Wharf, SE1 Butlers Wharf is a location in London.
Canvas House, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Cardamom Building, SE1 Cardamom Building is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Carmarthen Place, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Cinnamon Wharf, Cinnamon Wharf lies within the postcode.
Cloysters Green, E1W A street within the E1W postcode
Commercial Pier Wharf, SE1 Commercial Pier Wharf is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Copper Row, SE1 Copper Row is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Copperfield House, SE1 Copperfield House, like much of the Dickens Estate, is named after a fictional character.
Counter Street, SE1 Counter Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Crucifix Lane, SE1 Crucifix Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Curlew Street, SE1 Curlew Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Devon Mansions, SE1 Devon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dockhead, SE1 Dockhead is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Dombey House, SE16 Dombey House was one of the first blocks built on the Dickens Estate.
Druid Street, SE1 Druid Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Duchess Walk, SE1 Duchess Walk is a location in London.
English Grounds, SE1 English Grounds is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Fair Street, SE1 Fair Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Fenning Street, SE1 Fenning Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Gainsford Street, SE1 Gainsford Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Gainsforoad Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
George Row, SE16 George Row is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Hardwidge Street, SE1 Hardwidge Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Hays Galleria, SE1 Hays Galleria is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Hickman’s Folly, SE1 Hickman’s Folly was a very old Bermondsey street which disappeared as the Dickens Estate was built.
Hobbs Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Holyrood Court Business Centre, SE1 Holyrood Court Business Centre is a location in London.
Holyrood Street, SE1 Holyrood Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Horselydown Lane, SE1 Horselydown Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
India House, SE1 India House is a building on Curlew Street
International House, International House is a building on Cloister walk
Ivory House, E1W Ivory House is a block on St Katharine Docks
Jacob Street, SE1 Jacob Street is named after Jacob’s Island, the infamous area which preceded it.
John Felton Road, SE16 John Felton Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Lafone Street, SE1 Lafone Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Lamb Walk, SE1 Lamb Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Leathermarket Court, SE1 Leathermarket Court is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Leathermarket Court, SE1 Leathermarket Court is a road in the SE1P postcode area
Leathermarket Street, SE1P Leathermarket Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Little London Court, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Lloyds Wharf, SE1 Lloyds Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Magdalen Street, SE1 Magdalen Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Maggie Blake’s Cause, SE1 Maggie Blake’s Cause is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Maguire Street, SE1 Maguire Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Maltings Place, SE1 Maltings Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Mews Street, E1W Mews Street is a road in the E1W postcode area
Mill Street, SE1 Mill Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Millennium Square, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
More London Place, SE1 More London Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
More London Riverside, SE1 More London Riverside is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Morgans Lane, SE1 Morgan’s Lane runs down to HMS Belfast.
Morocco Street, SE1 Morocco Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
New Concordia Wharf, SE1 New Concordia Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Nightingale House, E1W Nightingale House is a block on Thomas More Street
Parkers Row, SE1 Parkers Row is a street which has diminished in significance since it was first built.
Paul’s Walk, EC3N A street within the EC3N postcode
Phoenix Wharf Road, SE1 Phoenix Wharf Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Pope Street, SE1 Pope Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Potters Fields, SE1 Potters Fields is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Providence Square, SE1 Providence Square is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Queen Elizabeth Street, SE1 Queen Elizabeth Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Rankin House 139-143, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Raven Wharf, SE1 Raven Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street, SE1 Scotts Sufferance Wharfmill Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Shad Thames, SE1 Shad Thames is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Shand Street, SE1 Shand Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Shipwright Yard, SE1 Shipwright Yard is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Springalls Wharf Apartments, SE16 Springalls Wharf Apartments is a block on Bermondsey Wall West
St Katharine’s Way, E1W St Katharine’s Way is a road in the E1W postcode area
Sugar Lane, SE16 Sugar Lane is a location in London.
Swan Court, SE1 Swan Court is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tanner Street, SE1 Tanner Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tapley House, SE1 Tapley House was one of the first buildings of the Dickens Estate.
The Circle, SE1 The Circle is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
The Leathermarket, SE1P The Leathermarket is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
The Queens Walk, SE1 The Queens Walk is a location in London.
The Tanneries, SE1 The Tanneries is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Three Oak Lane, SE1 Three Oak Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tooley Street, SE1 Tooley Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tooley Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Tower Bridge Piazza, SE1 Tower Bridge Piazza is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tower Bridge, SE1 Tower Bridge is a combined bascule and suspension bridge, built between 1886 and 1894.
Unity Wharf, SE1 Unity Wharf is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vine Lane, SE1 Vine Lane is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vintage Yard, SE1 Vintage Yard is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vogans Mill Wharf, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Vogans Mill, SE1 Vogans Mill is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Weavers Lane, SE1 Weavers Lane is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Whites Grounds, SE1 Whites Grounds is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Wolseley Street, SE1 Wolseley Street was formerly called London Street.

NEARBY PUBS
All Bar One Butler’s Wharf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Anchor tap This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Cecil’s This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dean swift This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Draft house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kings arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Pommeler’s rest This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Shipwrights arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Suchard free house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The hide This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The horniman at hays This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The woolpack This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Bermondsey

The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century.

Pope Constantine (708-715), in a letter, granted privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede (as Peterborough was known at the time).

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

Bermondsey appears in the Domesday Book and it was then held by King William (the Conqueror). A small part of the area was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain - William’s half brother.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded in 1082 as a Cluniac priory, with St Saviour as the patron.

The monks from the abbey began to develop the area, cultivating land and embanking the river. They put a dock at the mouth of River Neckinger, an adjacent tidal inlet. Records show this was called St Savior’s Dock, after their abbey.

Also owning land here was the Knights Templar. They gave a names to one of the most distinctive streets in London - Shad Thames, a later corruption of ’St John at Thames’.

Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby. The name ’Tooley Street’ was another corruption - this time of St Olave’s’ Street. It was located in the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Southwark. In Tooley Street, wealthy citizens and clerics built houses.

After the Great Fire of London, Bermondsey started to be settled by the well-to-do. It took on the character of a garden suburb - especially along Grange Road.

A pleasure garden - the Cherry Garden - was founded in the area in the 17th century near to the current Cherry Garden Pier. In 1664, Samuel Pepys visited ’Jamaica House’ in the gardens and wrote in his diary that he had left it "singing finely". Later, from the garden, J.M.W. Turner painted The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), showing the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

The church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street was completed in 1690, although a church has been recorded on the site since the 13th century. This church survived both 19th-century redevelopment and the Blitz unscathed. It is an unusual survivor of this period in Bermondsey and in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the River Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa resort - then all the rage. The name Spa Road commemorates this - situated between Grange Road and Jamaica Road.

Bermondsey’s fortunes took a huge nosedive as the Industrial Revolution took hold. Certain industries were deemed too inconvenient to be carried on within the small area of the City of London and banished east - both north and south of the river. One such that came to dominate central Bermondsey was the processing of leather and hides.

Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, become a notorious slum. The area around St Saviour’s Dock and Shad Thames - known as Jacob’s Island - was one of the worst in London. In Charles Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist, the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’ an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob’s Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob’s Island.</CITE>

In 1836, London’s first passenger railway terminus was built by the London & Greenwich Railway at London Bridge. The first section of the line to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. But Spa Road station closed in 1915.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with both the expansion of the river trade and the connectivity that the railway brought about. Bermondsey Town Hall - a mark of its civic emergence - was built on Spa Road in 1881. To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey’s three and a half miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler’s Wharf.

Many buildings from this era survive (around Leathermarket Street) including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale’s tannery, though now disused, on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Company was established in 1857 at Dockhead by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname ’Biscuit Town’ for Bermondsey. They continued baking here until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Wee Willie Harris - usually credited as the first British rock and roller - came from Bermondsey. He also worked in Peak Freans before his fame.

Bermondsey’s riverside suffered severe damage in Second World War bombing. A couple of decades later, the wharves became redundant following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict, many of the wharves were redeveloped by the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London.

In 1910, Millwall F.C. had moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane, having previously played in Millwall on the Isle of Dogs. They kept their original name despite playing on the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. The New Den is now back to being called The Den.

In 2000, Bermondsey tube station on the Jubilee Line Extension opened.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
Byward Tower, 1893
TUM image id: 1556882285
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Byward Tower, 1893
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Mark Lane station
Credit: London Transport
Licence: CC BY 2.0


HMS Belfast (2022)
Credit: IG/city visual
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Folly Ditch, Jacob’s Island in the 19th century. Jacob’s Island was a notorious Bermondsey slum, cleared in the 1860s.
Credit: Old and New London (published 1873)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Bermondsey Street (1881) ""One cannot help speculating as to the origins of this singular group of houses, with their eight gables. Mr Rendle, who was good enough to take great pains - unfortunately fruitless- to glean something for me about the history of these houses, tells me that in the early part of this century, houses of this type were exceedingly common in the main thoroughfares and bye places of Southwark. They are good specimens of the houses of the time of Elizabeth and somewhat later; the frame of massive timber, else mere shells of lath and plaster; but though often out of shape and leaning in all directions, wonderfully durable."" This description was written by Alfred Marks.
Credit: Society for Photographing Relics of Old London/Henry Dixon
Licence:


Jamaica Road (1900s) Despite being a road of eighteenth century origin, the western end of Jamaica Road, Bermondsey only dates from the 1960s.
Old London postcard
Licence:


Circus, EC3 (1918) Designed in 1768 by George Dance the Younger
Credit: London Metropolitan Archives
Licence:


Parker’s Row, SE1 on 19 May 1956
Credit: Serge Lansac/Picture Post/Hulton Archive
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Tower Bridge (2021) Sometimes, during the various lockdowns, various normally-busy roads have been photogenically quiet
Credit: Instagram user
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Wolseley Buildings, Wolseley Street, Bermondsey (1926) Tenements such as these were a common feature of inner south London in the late 19th and early 20th century. Typically they had been built by private landlords, some with a philanthropic inclination.
Licence:


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy