Regent’s Park

Park in/near Regent’s Park, existing between 1818 and now

(51.53 -0.155, 51.53 -0.155) 

Regent’s Park

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Park · Regent’s Park · ·
Regent's Park (officially The Regent's Park) is one of the Royal Parks of London. It lies within northern central London, partly in the City of Westminster and partly in the London Borough of Camden. It contains Regent's College and the London Zoo.

In the Middle Ages the land was part of the manor of Tyburn, the property of Barking Abbey. In the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII appropriated the land, and it has been Crown property ever since, except for the period between 1649 and 1660.

It was set aside as a hunting park, known as Marylebone Park, until 1649. It was then let out in small holdings for hay and dairy produce.

When the leases expired in 1811 the Prince Regent (later King George IV) commissioned architect John Nash to create a masterplan for the area. Nash originally envisaged a palace for the Prince and a number of grand detached villas for his friends, but when this was put into action from 1818 onwards, the palace and most of the villas were dropped. However, most of the proposed terraces of houses around the fringes of the park were built. Nash did not complete all the detailed designs himself; in some instances, completion was left in the hands of other architects such as the young Decimus Burton.

The Regent Park scheme was integrated with other schemes built for the Prince Regent by Nash, including Regent Street and Carlton House Terrace in a grand sweep of town planning stretching from St. James's Park to Parliament Hill.

The park was first opened to the general public in 1835, initially for two days a week. The 1831 diary of William Copeland Astbury describes in detail his daily walks in and around the park, with references to the Zoo, the canal, and surrounding streets, as well as features of daily life in the area.

On 15 January 1867, forty people died when the ice cover on the boating lake collapsed and over 200 people plunged into the lake. The lake was subsequently drained and its depth reduced to four feet before being reopened to the public.

Queen Mary's Gardens in the Inner Circle were created in the 1930s, bringing that part of the park into use by the general public for the first time. The site had originally been used as a plant nursery and had later been leased to the Royal Botanic Society.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Regent’s Park</SPAN>

Regent’s Park

Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965.

Broadwalk, NW1 Broadwalk is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Chester Road, NW1 Chester Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Hanover Terrace, NW1 Hanover Terrace is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Inner Circle, NW1 Inner Circle is a street in Camden Town.
Kent Passage, NW1 Kent Passage is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Outer Circle, NW1 Outer Circle is a street in Camden Town.
St Katharines Precinct, NW1 St Katharines Precinct is a street in Camden Town.
St Marks Square, NW1 St Marks Square is a street in Camden Town.
Sussex Place, NW1 Sussex Place is a street in Camden Town.
The Broadwalk, NW1 The Broadwalk is a road in the W1K postcode area
The Broadwalk, NW1 The Broadwalk is a road in the W1J postcode area

Regent’s Park

Regent’s Park - not the park itself but the tube station.

Regent’s Park tube station is a London Underground station near to Regent’s Park, located on Marylebone Road between the two arms of Park Crescent.

The station was opened on 10 March 1906 by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR); In the original parliamentary authority for the construction of the BS&WR no station was allowed at Regent’s Park. Permission was granted to add it to the already partially constructed line in 1904.

Because of this same rule and unlike most of the BS&WR’s other stations, Regent’s Park has no surface buildings and is accessed from a subway.

The station is served by lifts - there is also a staircase which can be used and which has 96 steps.

Great Portland Street station is within easy walking distance for interchanges to the Circle and Metropolitan lines.

Grotto Passage
Credit: Wiki Commons
TUM image id: 1604231019
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone coat of arms
TUM image id: 1585912333
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page