Winchester Street, SW1V
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Winchester Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
Alderney Street, SW1V Alderney Street was originally Stanley Street, after George Stanley, local landowner. Arden Street, SW8 Arden Street disappeared as the New Covent Garden Market was built. Avery Farm Row, SW1W Avery Farm Row - after a former farm here of this name, ’Avery’ being a corruption of ’Ebury’. Beeston Place, SW1W Beeston Place was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate and the family owned land in Beeston, Cheshire. Birdcage Walk, SW1E Birdcage Walk runs east-west from the Parliament Square area (as Great George Street) to Buckingham Palace. Brooks Court, SW8 Brooks Court is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Castle Lane, SW1E Castle Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Chester Square, SW1W Chester Square was voted London’s second best house address early in the 2000s. Nearby Eaton Square was voted first. Corunna Road, SW8 Corunna Road is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Dells Mews, SW1V Dells Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Ebury Square, SW1W In contrast with much of Belgravia’s planned building, Edbury Square developed as a result of London’s natural expansion. Ebury Street, SW1W Ebury Street runs from the Grosvenor Gardens junction south-westwards to Pimlico Road. Haines Street, SW8 Haines Street was named after the speculating solicitor, Frederick Haines, who built it in 1862. Hugh Street, SW1V Hugh Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Imex Centre, SW8 Imex Centre is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Peabody Avenue, SW1V Peabody Avenue, completed in 1885, is a monument to the birth of social housing. Rivermill, SW1V Rivermill is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Rudolf Place, SW8 Rudolf Place is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Sleaford Street, SW8 Sleaford Street is virtually the last of the surviving streets of Battersea New Town. Sopwith Way, SW8 Sopwith Way is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Stag Place, SW1E Stag Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. The Arcade, SW1V The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. The Pavilion, SW8 The Pavilion is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Tun Yard, SW8 Tun Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Victoria Square, SW1W Victoria Square, a small residential square, lies on land forming part of the Grosvenor Estate to the south of the Royal Mews. Walcott Street, SW1P Walcott Street was named after Reverend MEC Walcott, curate of the St Margaret’s, Westminster in the 1840s. Warwick Row, SW1E Warwick Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Warwick Way, SW1V Warwick Way is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Wilton Mews, SW1X Wilton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Wilton Road, SW1V Wilton Road is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.