A seminal gig

Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52003 -0.20585, 51.52 -0.205) 

A seminal gig

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Article · Notting Hill · W10 ·
October
21
2015
Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.

This is not to mention that great John Dowie - a Cinderella amongst the glitterati.

One small footnote is that "Rough Trade" which became a major independent label started off as a record shop where concertgoers could buy their tickets in advance. A bargain at £1.25.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


A seminal gig</SPAN>

A seminal gig
Tom Vague

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
3 Acklam Road From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family.
Acklam Road protests Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Albert Hotel The Albert Hotel stood on the corner of All Saints Road and Westbourne Park Road.
All Saints Notting Hill All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner.
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Duke of Cornwall The Duke of Cornwall pub morphed into the uber-trendy "The Ledbury" restaurant.
Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s) Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Kensington Park Hotel The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove.
Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove is named after James Weller Ladbroke, who developed the Ladbroke Estate in the mid nineteenth century, until then a largely rural area on the western edges of London.
Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900) This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
North Kensington Library North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries.
Orme’s Green Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park.
Political meeting (1920s) Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.
Portobello Farm Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Portobello Green Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens.
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950) A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951) Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
St Martins Mission Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St. Joseph’s Home St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Apollo The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction.
The Eagle The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Mitre The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
The Prince of Wales Cinema The Prince of Wales Cinema was located at 331 Harrow Road.
Weston’s Cider House In 1930 Weston’s opened their first and only cider mill on the Harrow Road.
Windsor Castle The Windsor Castle dates from the 1820s but its main incarnation was as a classic Victorian public house, seminal in 1970s musical history.

NEARBY STREETS
Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway.
Alba Place, W11 Alba Place is part of the Colville Conservation Area.
Aldridge Court, W11 Aldridge Court is in Aldridge Road Villas.
Aldridge Road Villas, W11 Aldridge Road Villas is a surviving fragment of mid-Victorian residential development.
All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road.
Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks.
Athlone Place, W10 Athlone Place runs between Faraday Road and Bonchurch Road.
Basing Street, W11 Basing Street was originally Basing Road between 1867 and 1939.
Bevington Road, W10 Bevington Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Blagrove Road, W10 This is a street in the W10 postcode.
Bonchurch Road, W10 Bonchurch Road was first laid out in the 1870s.
Cambridge Gardens, W10 Cambridge Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Caradoc Close, W2 Caradoc Close is a street in Paddington.
Chesterton Road, W10 Chesterton Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Clydesdale Road, W11 Clydesdale Road is a street in Notting Hill.
Colville Houses, W11 Colville Houses is part of the Colville Conservation Area.
Convent Gardens, W11 Convent Gardens is a street in Notting Hill.
Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road.
Courtnell Street, W2 Courtnell Street is a street in Paddington.
Dartmouth Close, W11 Dartmouth Close is a street in Notting Hill.
Dunworth Mews, W11 This is a street in the W11 postcode area
Edenham Mews, W10 Edenham Mews was the site of a youth club and day nursery after the Second World War until demolition.
Edenham Street, W10 Edenham Street was swept away in 1969.
Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is a 1970s street.
Elgin Mews, W11 Elgin Mews lies in Notting Hill.
Elkstone Road, W10 Elkstone Road replaced Southam Street around 1970.
Fallodon House, W11 Fallodon House was planned in 1973 to replace housing between Tavistock Crescent, Tavistock Road, and St Luke’s Road.
Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington.
Folly Mews, W11 Folly Mews is a street in Notting Hill.
Golborne Mews, W10 Golborne Mews lies off of the Portobello Road, W10.
Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington.
Golden Mews, W11 Golden Mews was a tiny mews off of Basing Street, W11.
Great Western Road, W11 The name of the Great Western Road dates from the 1850s.
Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal.
Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond.
Hayden’s Place, W11 This is a street in the W11 postcode area
Hayden’s Place, W11 Haydens Place is a small cul-de-sac off of the Portobello Road.
Hayden’s Place, W11 Hayden’s Place is a street in Notting Hill.
Hedgegate Court, W11 Hedgegate Court is a street in Notting Hill.
Hormead Road, W9 Hormead Road was named in 1885 although its site was still a nursery ground until 1891.
James House, W10 James House is a residential block in Appleford Road.
Kensal Place, W10 Kensal Place ran from Southam Street to Kensal Road.
Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s.
Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts.
Lancaster Road, W11 Lancaster Road is a street in Notting Hill.
Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road.
Leamington House, W11 Leamington House was built by 1962.
Leamington Road Villas, W11 Leamington Road Villas is a street in Notting Hill.
Ledbury Road, W2 Ledbury Road is a street in Paddington.
Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s.
Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens.
Malton Road, W11 Malton Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
McGregor Road, W11 McGregor Road runs between St Luke’s Road and All Saints Road.
Millwood Street, W10 Millwood Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Modena Street, W9 Modena Street was swept away in the late 1960s.
Moorhouse Road, W2 Moorhouse Road is a street in Paddington.
Morgan Road, W10 Morgan Road connects Wornington Road and St Ervans Road.
Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road.
Murchison Road, W10 Murchison Road existed for just under 100 years.
Norburn Street, W10 Norburn Street is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Orchard Close, W10 Orchard Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area.
Oxford Gardens, W10 Oxford Gardens is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line.
Portobello Road, W11 Portobello Road is internationally famous for its market.
Powis Gardens, W11 Powis Gardens is a street in Notting Hill.
Powis Mews, W11 Powis Mews is a street in Notting Hill.
Powis Square, W11 Powis Square is a square between Talbot Road and Colville Terrace.
Powis Terrace, W11 Powis Terrace is a street in Notting Hill.
Pressland Street, W10 Pressland Street ran from Kensal Road to the canal.
Raddington Road, W10 Raddington Road is a street in North Kensington, London W10
Rendle Street, W10 Rendle Street ran from Murchison Road to Telford Road.
Rillington Place, W11 Rillington Place is a small street with an infamous history.
Ruston Mews, W11 Ruston Mews, W11 was originally Crayford Mews.
Shottsford, W2 Shottsford is one of the buildings of the Wessex Gardens Estate.
Silvester Mews, W11 Silvester Mews was a mews off of Basing Street, W11.
Southam House, W10 Southam House is situated on Adair Road.
Southam Street, W10 Southam Street was made world-famous in the photographs of Roger Mayne.
St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished.
St Charles Place, W10 St Charles Place is a street in North Kensington, London W10
St Columbs House, W10 St Columbs House is situated at 9-39 Blagrove Road.
St Ervans Road, W10 St Ervans Road is named after the home town of the Rev. Samuel Walker.
St Joseph’s Close, W10 St Joseph’s Close is a cul-de-sac off of Bevington Road.
St Lawrence Terrace, W10 St Lawrence Terrace is a street in North Kensington, London W10
St Lukes Mews, W11 St Lukes Mews is a mews off of All Saints Road, W11.
St Luke’s Road, W11 St Luke’s Road is a street in Notting Hill.
St Michael’s Gardens, W10 St Michael’s Gardens lies to the south of St Michael’s Church.
Talbot Road, W11 The oldest part of Talbot Road lies in London, W11.
Talbot Road, W2 Talbot Road straddles the W2/W11 postcodes.
Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966.
Tavistock Mews, W11 Tavistock Mews, W11 lies off of the Portobello Road.
Tavistock Road, W11 Tavistock Road is a street in Notting Hill.
Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists.
Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway.
Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972.
Westbourne Park Road, W11 Westbourne Park Road runs between Notting Hill and the Paddington area.
Westbury House, W11 Westbury House was built on the corner of Westbourne Park Road and Aldridge Road Villas in 1965.
Western Mews, W9 Western Mews is a street in Maida Vale.
Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border.
Wheatstone Road, W10 Wheatstone Road was the former name of the eastern section of Bonchurch Road.
Woodfield Place, W9 Woodfield Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Woodfield Road, W9 The first section of Woodfield Road seems to date from the 1830s.
Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.


Notting Hill

Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again...

Notting Hill is a cosmopolitan district known as the location for the annual Notting Hill Carnival, and for being home to the Portobello Road Market.

The word Notting might originate from a Saxon called Cnotta with the =ing part indicating "the place inhibited by the people of" - i.e. where Cnotta’s tribe lived. There was a farm called variously "Knotting-Bernes,", "Knutting-Barnes" or "Nutting-barns" and this name was transferred to the hill above it.

The area remained rural until the westward expansion of London reached Bayswater in the early 19th century. The main landowner in Notting Hill was the Ladbroke family, and from the 1820s James Weller Ladbroke began to undertake the development of the Ladbroke Estate. Working with the architect and surveyor Thomas Allason, Ladbroke began to lay out streets and houses, with a view to turning the area into a fashionable suburb of the capital (although the development did not get seriously under way until the 1840s). Many of these streets bear the Ladbroke name, including Ladbroke Grove, the main north-south axis of the area, and Ladbroke Square, the largest private garden square in London.

The original idea was to call the district Kensington Park, and other roads (notably Kensington Park Road and Kensington Park Gardens) are reminders of this. The local telephone prefix 7727 (originally 727) is based on the old telephone exchange name of PARk.

The reputation of the district altered over the course of the 20th century. As middle class households ceased to employ servants, the large Notting Hill houses lost their market and were increasingly split into multiple occupation.

For much of the 20th century the large houses were subdivided into multi-occupancy rentals. Caribbean immigrants were drawn to the area in the 1950s, partly because of the cheap rents, but were exploited by slum landlords like Peter Rachman, and also became the target of white racist Teddy Boys in the 1958 Notting Hill race riots.

Notting Hill was slowly gentrified from the 1980s onwards now has a contemporary reputation as an affluent and fashionable area; known for attractive terraces of large Victorian townhouses, and high-end shopping and restaurants (particularly around Westbourne Grove and Clarendon Cross).

A Daily Telegraph article in 2004 used the phrase the ’Notting Hill Set’ to refer to a group of emerging Conservative politicians, such as David Cameron and George Osborne, who were once based in Notting Hill.

Since it was first developed in the 1830s, Notting Hill has had an association with artists and ’alternative’ culture.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Children of Ruston Close
TUM image id: 1545251090
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The "Western"
TUM image id: 1489498043
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ladbroke Grove (1866)
TUM image id: 1513618275
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Clayton Arms
TUM image id: 1453029104
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Foresters
TUM image id: 1453071112
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Lads of the Village pub
TUM image id: 1556874496
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Prince of Wales
TUM image id: 1556874951
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed)
TUM image id: 1556888887
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kensington Park Hotel
TUM image id: 1453375720
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Saint John the Evangelist
TUM image id: 1453377588
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Children of Ruston Close
TUM image id: 1545251090
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Tile Kiln, Notting Dale (1824)
Credit: Florence Gladstone
TUM image id: 1563720078
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road. The Earl Derby himself was Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby who fought at the battle of Bosworth.
TUM image id: 1453372511
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Lads of the Village pub
TUM image id: 1556874496
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Prince of Wales
TUM image id: 1556874951
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kensington Park Hotel
TUM image id: 1453375720
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Tabernacle is a Grade II*-listed building in Powis Square, W11 built in 1887 as a church. Photographed here in 2010.
Credit: Asteuartw
TUM image id: 1453285201
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Duke of Cornwall, Ledbury Road W11, around 1990. Now The Ledbury restaurant, holder of 2 Michelin Stars as of 2014.
TUM image id: 1453282426
Licence: CC BY 2.0
201311211613
TUM image id: 1453376699
Licence: CC BY 2.0
New flats featuring in a photo taken from Adair Road (1962)
TUM image id: 1489944954
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page