Denning Road, NW3
Road in/near Hampstead, existing between 1878 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Denning Road is a street in Hampstead.
In 1873 the contractor John Culverhouse was allowed to enclose waste on the south side of Willow Road
, from Willow Cottages to Downshire Hill
. The strip was enfranchised and conveyed in 1875 to the British Land Co., which also acquired the Carlile estate, enfranchised in 1873, between Gayton Road
and Crescent, Willow Road
, and Downshire Hill
All the roads (Denning, Willoughby, Kemplay, and Carlingford roads and Rudall Crescent
) had been laid out on the estate by 1878, and houses there and on the Willow Road
frontage were complete by 1886.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park. Belsize Lane, NW3 Belsize Lane is a thoroughfare linking Rosslyn Hill with Swiss Cottage. Hillfield Court, NW3 Hillfield Court serves a prominent art deco residential mansion block of the same name in Belsize Park. McCrone Mews, NW3 McCrone Mews is a mews - formerly the location of a depot of the London Parcel Delivery Company. Prince Arthur Road, NW3 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and son of Queen Victoria opened a home for sailor’s daughters in the area in 1869. Rosslyn Hill, NW3 Rosslyn Hill is a road connecting the south end of Hampstead High Street to the north end of Haverstock Hill. Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.