Church Farmhouse Museum
Museum in/near Hendon, existed between 1944 and 2011
Print-friendly version of this page
Church Farmhouse Museum was situated in a 17th-century farmhouse in Hendon – the oldest surviving dwelling in Hendon.
The building is a two-storey, red brick farmhouse with three gables and centrally placed chimney stacks. It is typical of 17th-century Middlesex vernacular architecture. A blue plaque commemorates Mark Lemon, who lived in the house as a child between 1817 and 1823. His book Tom Moody’s Tales includes recollections of his childhood in the area.
The house was owned by the Kempe family between 1688 and 1780, and later by the Dunlop family from 1869-1943. Andrew Dunlop came from Ayrshire to live in the house and worked the farm where he mainly produced hay for residents, businesses and horses.
In 1944 the farmhouse, outbuildings and adjoining land were bought by the council and in more recent years the museum was set up to show how an ordinary farming family used to live.
The museum had two period rooms, a period kitchen and scullery, two exhibition spaces and a large garden with a pond. Barnet Council withdrew funding from Church Farmhouse Museum, as well as Barnet Museum, from April 2011. The final exhibition was "Harry Beck and the London Tube Map".
Part of the museum collection went to Barnet Museum and part was sold at auction.
Church Farmhouse Museum from Greyhound Hill (2011)
Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.
|VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HENDON AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.