Wulfstan Street, W12
Road in/near East Acton, existing between 1923 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Wulfstan Street, like all streets in the Wormholt and Old Oak Estate, was named after a Bishop of London.
The Wormholt and Old Oak Estates were constructed between 1912-1928 and represented part of a movement towards higher standards in public housing.Licence:
The 54 acres required for the Old Oak Estate was purchased by the London County Council (L.C.C) in 1905 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, 8 acres being re-sold to the Great Western Railway for its Ealing-Shepherds Bush branch. The estate was constructed in two phases, west of the railway and East Acton Station in 1912-13 and the eastern half in 1920-3 with fourteen houses added in 1927.
Since they were built, internal standards have continued to rise, but their external quality is now rarely equalled in either private or public housing. Because of their high standard of streetscapes, in May 1980, Hammersmith and Fulham Council decided to designate the estates as a Conservation Area.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Abdale Road, W12 Abdale Road is located near the ’Groves’ area of Shepherd’s Bush. Bryony Road, W12 Bryony Road was one of the main roads of the 1920s Wormholt Estate. Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Dorando Close, W12 Dorando Close commemorates Dorando Pietri who finished first in the marathon of the 1908 London Olympics but was disqualified for receiving assistance. Nursery Lane, W10 Nursery Lane is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Scrubs Lane, W10 Scrubs Lane is the road on the very western boundary of the London W10 postal area. Stephenson Street, NW10 Stephenson Street was built in 1889 by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) for its employees. Stokesley Street, W12 Stokesley Street is named after John Stokesley who was Catholic Bishop of London during the reign of Henry VIII. Webb Close, W10 Webb Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. White City Close, W12 White City Close was designed as a compact series of two- to four-storey brown-brick terraces enclosing landscaped footways and courts. Wood Lane, W12 Wood Lane runs from Shepherd’s Bush to Wormwood Scrubs and lies wholly in London W12.
East Acton is an area in west London.
Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.
East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.
East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.
The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.
Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.
East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.