Meredith Avenue, NW2

Road in/near Cricklewood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.55388 -0.22211) 

Meredith Avenue, NW2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Cricklewood · NW2 ·
July
8
2017
Meredith Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Anson Road, NW2 Anson Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Ashford Road, NW2 Ashford Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Astley Avenue, NW2 Astley Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Blackstone Road, NW2 Blackstone Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Blenheim Gardens, NW2 Blenheim Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Cedar Road, NW2 Cedar Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Chandos Road, NW2 Chandos Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Chanin Mews, NW2 Chanin Mews is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Chichele Road, NW2 Chichele Road is named after All Souls’ College founder Henry Chichele.
Cranhurst Road, NW2 Cranhurst Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Cricklewood Broadway, NW2 Cricklewood Broadway is a street in Cricklewood.
Dawson Road, NW2 Dawson Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Dicey Avenue, NW2 Dicey Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Elvis Road, NW2 Elvis Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Gardiner Avenue, NW2 Gardiner Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Gay Close, NW2 Gay Close is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Grosvenor Gardens, NW2 Grosvenor Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Heber Road, NW2 Heber Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Henson Avenue, NW2 Henson Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Howard Road, NW2 Howard Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Ivy Road, NW2 Ivy Road is a street in Cricklewood.
James Avenue, NW2 James Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Jeymer Avenue, NW2 Jeymer Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Kenneth Crescent, NW2 Kenneth Crescent is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Kenneth Cresent, NW2 Kenneth Cresent is a street in Cricklewood.
Larch Road, NW2 Larch Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Lennon Road, NW2 Lennon Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Marley Walk, NW2 Marley Walk is a street in Cricklewood.
Melrose Avenue, NW2 Melrose Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Oaklands Grove, NW2 Oaklands Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Oaklands Road, NW2 Oaklands Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Olive Road, NW2 Olive Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Oman Avenue, NW2 Oman Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Park Avenue North, NW10 Park Avenue North is a street in Willesden.
Park Avenue, NW2 Park Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Riffel Road, NW2 Riffel Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Rockhall Road, NW2 Rockhall Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Rowan House, NW10 Residential block
Sheldon Road, NW2 Sheldon Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Sneyd Road, NW2 Sneyd Road is a street in Cricklewood.
St Gabriels Road, NW2 St Gabriels Road is a street in Cricklewood.
St. Gabriel’s Road, NW2 St. Gabriel’s Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Stanley Gardens, NW2 Stanley Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Sylvan Grove, NW2 Sylvan Grove is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Teignmouth Road, NW2 Teignmouth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
The Broadway, NW2 The Broadway is a street in Cricklewood.
Tracey Avenue, NW2 Tracey Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Walm Lane, NW2 Walm Lane links Willesden High Road with the Edgware Road.
Windmill Court, NW2 Windmill Court is a street in Cricklewood.
Wren Avenue, NW2 Wren Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area


Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hendon Fever Hospital
TUM image id: 1072
Oxgate Farm
TUM image id: 1129
Dudden Hill Farm
TUM image id: 1165
Sellon's Farm
TUM image id: 1182
Postcard of Haycroft Farm
TUM image id: 1184
Willesden (Bramley's) Farm.
TUM image id: 1322
Brent Sidings
TUM image id: 2374
Print-friendly version of this page