The area itself is sometimes known as ‘Hillgate Village’. The houses are small terraced Victorian houses one two floors plus basements, and are painted in a multitude of colours from dark blue to light green.
The street is tree-lined and has a village feel to it. At the end of the street is a small old-fashioned neighbourhood pub called the Uxbridge Arms
It was part of the estate known as The Racks
. Then William Johnson and Joseph Clutterbuck began turning what had been a brickfield into a residential area.
Clutterbuck died in about 1851 having made a start on development, using other builders to carry out the work. William Johnson continued selling off plots. Over 200 houses were built in the following decade, with a large number of individual builders constructing a few houses each.
Clutterbuck, or builders appointed by him, were responsible for the construction of houses in Calcott Street (formerly William Street).