Spenser Street is a road in the SW1E postcode area
Air Street, W1B Air Street’s name is believed to be a corruption of ‘Ayres’, after Thomas Ayre, a local brewer and resident in the 17th century. Air Street, W1B Air Street was the most westerly street in London when newly built in 1658. Albany Courtyard, W1J The courtyard is named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, who in 1791 purchased Melbourne House which stood on this site. Albany, W1S The Albany is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, divided into apartments in 1802. Albemarle Street, W1S Albemarle Street takes its name from the second Duke of Albermarle, son of General Monk. Alderney Street, SW1V Alderney Street was originally Stanley Street, after George Stanley, local landowner. Archer Street, W1D Archer Street was Arch Street in 1675, Orchard Street in 1720 and Archer Street by 1746. Beak Street, W1B Beak Street runs roughly east-west between Regent Street and Lexington Street. Birdcage Walk, SW1E Birdcage Walk runs east-west from the Parliament Square area (as Great George Street) to Buckingham Palace. Birdcage Walk, SW1H Birdcage Walk runs east from Great George Street, along the south side of St James’s Park. Boyle Street, W1S Boyle Street was built on a piece of land called the Ten Acres to discharge some Boyle family debts. Broadway, SW1H Broadway - formerly the location of the headquarters of both London Transport and the Metropolitan Police. Burlington Arcade, W1J Burlington Arcade is a covered shopping arcade, 179 metres in length, that runs from Piccadilly to Burlington Gardens. Burlington Gardens, W1S Burlington Gardens, with houses dating from 1725, was laid out on land that was once part of the Burlington Estate. Bury Street, SW1A Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street. Bury Street, SW1Y Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street. Carey Place, SW1V Carey Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Carlton House Terrace, SW1Y Carlton House Terrace consists of a pair of terraces - white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St. James’s Park. Castle Lane, SW1E Castle Lane is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Caxton Street, SW1H William Caxton was responsible for the introduction of the printing press to England. Cockspur Street, SW1Y Cockspur Street is possibly after the cock fighting that formerly occurred here, cocks often having spurs attached to their feet during fights. Cork Street, W1S Cork Street, on the Burlington Estate, was named after Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork. Coventry Street, W1D Coventry Street is a short street connecting Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square. On the London Monopoly board, it was named after the politician Henry Coventry, secretary of state to Charles II. Dansey Place, W1D Dansey Place is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area. Dells Mews, SW1V Dells Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Dover Street, W1S Dover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area. Duke Street, SW1Y Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Eagle Place, SW1Y Eagle Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Great Windmill Street, W1F Great Windmill Street has had a long association with music and entertainment, most notably the Windmill Theatre. Ham Yard, W1D Ham Yard is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area. Hay Hill, W1J Hay Hill is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Haymarket, SW1Y Haymarket – site of a former market selling hay until the 1830s. Hide Place, SW1P Hide Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1P postal area. Hobhouse Court, WC2H Hobhouse Court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Victorian MP and arts patron. King Street, SW1Y King Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Masons Yard, SW1Y Masons Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Ormond Yard, SW1Y Ormond Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Oxendon Street, W1D Oxendon Street, after Sir Henry Oxendon, husband of Mary Baker, daughter of Robert Baker who built the former Piccadilly House nearby. Pall Mall, SW1Y Pall Mall is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Panton Street, W1D Panton Street was named after Colonel Thomas Panton, local property dealer of the 17th century. Park Place, SW1A Park Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area. Pulford Street, SW1V Pulford Street was a street between construction in 1848 and demolition after the Second World War. Rivermill, SW1V Rivermill is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Royal Arcade, W1S Royal Arcade is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area. Rupert Court, W1D Rupert Court was named for Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the First Lord of the Admiralty when the court was built in 1676. Rupert Street, W1D Rupert Street – after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, noted 17th century general and son of Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James I. Smiths Court, W1D Smiths Court is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area. St George’s Square, SW1V St Georges Square is a long narrow space reaching to the river with an enclosed garden in the centre. Stag Place, SW1E Stag Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Suffolk Place, SW1Y The Earl of Suffolk (Thomas Howard) was the reason for the naming of Suffolk Place. Suffolk Street, SW1Y Suffolk Street was named after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site. Swallow Street, W1B Swallow Street honours Thomas Swallow, lessee in 1540 of the pastures on which the road was built. The Arcade, SW1V The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. The Mall, SW1Y The Mall is the processional route between Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace. Vigo Street, W1S Vigo Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area. Vincent Square, SW1P Vincent Square is a large grass-covered square which provides playing fields for Westminster School, which owns it. Walcott Street, SW1P Walcott Street was named after Reverend MEC Walcott, curate of the St Margaret’s, Westminster in the 1840s. Wardour Street, W1D The part of Wardour Street south of Shaftesbury Avenue runs through London’s Chinatown. Warwick Row, SW1E Warwick Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1E postal area. Warwick Way, SW1V Warwick Way is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Waterloo Place, SW1Y Waterloo Place, a broad extension of Regent Street, is awash with statues and monuments that honour heroes and statesmen of the British Empire. It is framed by palatial buildings designed by John Nash, the famed Regency-era architect and Decimus Burton, his protégé. Whitcomb Street, WC2H Whitcomb Street - named after William Whitcomb, 17th century brewer and property developer. Wilton Road, SW1V Wilton Road is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
The railways largely replaced the canals as a means of transport. Uniquely for a main line station, Victoria station was built on top of one.
Before the railway arrived in 1862, this area - like the area immediately south of it - was known as Pimlico
. The Grosvenor Canal ended in a large basin here.
Victoria station’s origins lie with the Great Exhibition of 1851, when a railway called the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway
came into existence, serving the site of the exhibition halls which had been transferred to Sydenham from Hyde Park. The terminus of that railway was at Stewarts Lane in Battersea on the south side of the river. In 1858 a joint enterprise was set up to take trains over the river: it was entitled the Victoria Station and Pimlico Railway
; and was a mile and a quarter in length. The railway was owned by four railway companies: the Great Western (GWR); London & North Western (LNWR); the London, Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR); and the London Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR). It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1858.
The station was built in two parts: those on the western side, opened in 1862, with six platforms, ten tracks and an hotel (the 300-bedroom Grosvenor) were occupied by the Brighton company; whilst adjacent, and in the same year, the Chatham company were to occupy a less imposing wooden-fronted building. The latter’s station had nine tracks and was shared by broad-gauge trains of the GWR, whose trains arrived from Southall via the West London Extension Joint Railway through Chelsea. The GWR remained part owner of the station until 1932, although its trains had long since ceased to use it. Each side of the station had its own entrance and a separate station master; a wall between the two sections effectively emphasised that fact.
At the start of the twentieth century both parts of the station were rebuilt. It now had a decent frontage and forecourt, but not as yet a unified existence. Work on the Brighton side was completed in 1908 and was carried out in red brick; the Grosvenor Hotel was rebuilt at the same time. The Chatham side, in a Edwardian style with baroque elements, designed by Alfred Bloomfield, was completed a year later. The two sections were eventually connected in 1924 by removing part of a screen wall, when the platforms were renumbered as an entity. The station was redeveloped internally in the 1980s, with the addition of shops within the concourse, and above the western platforms.
The station was now serving boat trains, and during WWI it became the hub of trains carrying soldiers to and from France, many of them wounded. After the war the Continental steamer traffic became concentrated there, including the most famous of those trains, the Golden Arrow. The area around the station also became a site for other other forms of transport: a bus station in the forecourt; a coach terminal to the south; and it is now the terminal for trains serving Gatwick Airport.
Victoria is also well-served by London underground. The sub-surface Circle and District Lines opened on December 24, 1868; and the Victoria Line line came to Victoria Station with the third phase of construction of the line - the station’s platforms were opened on March 7, 1969, six months after the Victoria line had started running in outer London.