Windspoint Drive, SE15

Road in/near Peckham

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.48118 -0.06404, 51.481 -0.064) 

Windspoint Drive, SE15

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Peckham · SE15 ·
August
13
2017
Windspoint Drive is a road in the SE15 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Albert Way, SE15 Albert Way is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Applegarth House, SE15 Residential block
Aylesbury House, SE15 Residential block
Bianca Road, SE15 Bianca Road is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Bird In Bush Road, SE15 Bird In Bush Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Biroad In Bush Road, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Boathouse Walk, SE15 Boathouse Walk is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Buller Close, SE15 Buller Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Burnhill Close, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Canal Grove, SE15 Canal Grove is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Cardine Mews, SE15 Cardine Mews is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Caversham House, SE15 Residential block
Clifton Crescent, SE15 Clifton Crescent was named in 1881 after Clifton, Derbyshire.
Colegrove Road, SE15 Colegrove Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Commercial Way, SE15 Commercial Way dates from the 1840s.
Culmore Road, SE15 Culmore Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Daisy Business Park 19-35, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Devon Street, SE15 Devon Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Devonshire Grove, SE15 Devonshire Grove is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Drovers Place, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Eagle Close, SE16 Eagle Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Elcot Avenue, SE15 Elcot Avenue is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Ethnard Road, SE15 Ethnard Road is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Fenham Road, SE15 Fenham Road - named in 1866 after Fenham in Northumberland.
Freda Corbett Close, SE15 Freda Corbett Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Frensham Street, SE15 Frensham Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Friary Estate, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Friary Road, SE15 Friary Road was developed in the 1840s.
Furley Road, SE15 Furley Road is named after Furley in Devon.
Gervase Street, SE15 Gervase Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Glengall Road, SE15 Glengall Road was built in the 1840s.
Green Hundred Road, SE15 Green Hundred Road is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Hastings Close, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Haymerle Road, SE15 Haymerle Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Hereford Retreat, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Hill Beck Close, SE15 Hill Beck Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Hillbeck Close, SE15 Hillbeck Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Holbeck Row, SE15 Holbeck Row is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Hoyland Close, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Hyndman Street, SE15 Hyndman Street is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Inforum Mews, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Latona Road, SE15 Latona Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Ledbury Street, SE15 Ledbury Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Leo Street, SE15 Leo Street is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Leontine Close, SE15 Leontine Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Lindley Estate, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Livesey Place, SE15 Livesey Place is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Lovegrove Street, SE16 Lovegrove Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Lympstone Gardens, SE15 Lympstone Gardens is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Maismore Street, SE15 Maismore Street is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Malt Street, SE1 Malt Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Murdock Street, SE15 Murdock Street is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Naylor Road, SE15 Naylor Road was named in 1863 after a Miss Naylor who then leased houses in 1877.
Nutcroft Road, SE15 Nutcroft Road is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Old Kent Road, SE15 Old Kent Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Old Kent Road, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Olmar Street, SE1 Olmar Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Ossory Road, SE1 Ossory Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Peckham Park Road, SE15 Peckham Park Road was the combination of Park Road and Upper Park Road in 1870.
Pencraig Way, SE15 Pencraig Way is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Radnor Road, SE15 Radnor Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Reading House, SE15 Residential block
Rich Industrial Estate, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Ruby Street, SE15 Ruby Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Ruby Triangle, SE15 This is a street in the SE15 postcode area
Sandgate Street, SE15 Sandgate Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Sidmouth House Lindley Estate, SE15 Sidmouth House Lindley Estate is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Silkin Mews, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Sister Mabel’s Way, SE15 Sister Mabel’s Way is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Springall Street, SE15 This is a street in the SE15 postcode area
Studholme Street, SE15 Studholme Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Sylvan Grove, SE15 Sylvan Grove is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
The Carlton Works, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Unit 41-42, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Unit C, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Unwin Close, SE15 Unwin Close is a road in the SE15 postcode area
Wales Close, SE15 A street within the SE15 postcode
Willowbrook Road, SE15 Willowbrook Road is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.


Peckham

Peckham is a district located in the London Borough of Southwark. It is situated 3.5 miles south-east of Charing Cross.

Peckham is a Saxon place name meaning the village of the River Peck, a small stream that ran through the district until it was enclosed in 1823. Archaeological evidence indicates earlier Roman occupation in the area, although the name of this settlement is lost.

Peckham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Pecheham. It was held by the Bishop of Lisieux from the Bishop of Bayeux. The manor was owned by King Henry I who gave it to his son Robert, Earl of Gloucester. When Robert married the heiress to Camberwell the two manors were united under royal ownership.

Peckham became popular as a wealthy residential area by the 16th century. By the 18th century the area was a more commercial centre and attracted industrialists who wanted to avoid paying the expensive rents in central London. Peckham also boasted extensive market gardens and orchards growing produce for the nearby markets of London.

The village was the last stopping point for many cattle drovers taking their livestock for sale in London. The drovers stayed in the local inns (such as The Red Cow) while the cattle were safely secured overnight in holding pens. Most of the villagers were agricultural or horticultural workers but with the early growth of the suburbs an increasing number worked in the brick industry that exploited the local London Clay.

At the beginning of the 19th century Peckham was a 'small, quiet, retired village surrounded by fields'. Since 1744 stagecoaches had travelled with an armed guard between Peckham and London to give protection from highwaymen. The rough roads constrained traffic so a branch of the Grand Surrey Canal was proposed as a route from the Thames to Portsmouth. The canal was built from Surrey Commercial Docks to Peckham before the builders ran out of funds in 1826.

Before Peckham Rye railway station was opened in 1865 the area had developed around two centres: north and south. In the north, housing spread out to the south of the Old Kent Road including Peckham New Town built on land owned by the Hill family (from whom the name Peckham Hill Street derives). In the south, large houses were built to the west of the common land called Peckham Rye and the lane that led to it.

North Peckham was heavily redeveloped in the 1960s, consisting mainly of high-rise flats to rehouse people from dilapidated old houses. It was popular on its completion for offering a high quality and modern standing of living. However, high unemployment and a lack of economic opportunities led to urban decay and a period of decline in the late 1970s. The North Peckham Estate became one of the most deprived residential areas in Western Europe. Vandalism, graffiti, arson attacks, burglaries, robberies and muggings were commonplace, and the area became an archetypal London sink estate. As a result, the area was subjected to a £290 million regeneration programme in the late 1990s and early 2000s. By 2002, 90% of the redevelopment was complete. The new homes were better laid out and offered improved security.

Since the 1990s the European Union has invested heavily in the regeneration of the area; partly funding the futuristic, award-winning Peckham Library, a new town square and swathes of new housing to replace the North Peckham Estate. Throughout the area state funding is being provided to improve the housing stock and renovate the streets. This includes funding for public arts projects like the Tom Phillips mosaics on the wall of the Peckham Experiment restaurant and the South London Gallery.


LOCAL PHOTOS
All churches have disappeared from Hill Street, and the 1900 map only shows two - one near the corner of modern Goldsmith Road and a chapel of the corner of Commercial Way. This image is assumed to show the former. Peckham originally lay within the medieval parish of St Giles, Camberwell. The first Anglican church to be built within the bounds of modern Peckham was St Chrysostom in 1814. Camden Chapel on the north side of Peckham Road had opened in 1797 as a Protestant Dissenting Chapel, but did not become a parish church until 1844. Extensive house building accompanied the arrival of the railway in Peckham in the 1860s (Peckham Rye station 1865, Queens Road 1866 and Nunhead 1871), and followed in the second half of the nineteenth century. Daughter and mission churches proliferated, carved out of each parish as the congregation exceeded the capacity of the building or the capabilities of its staff. By 1905 there were fourteen parish churches within the area now defined as Peckham (SE15), plus parts of the parishes of a further four. In 1922 there were over 30 ecclesiastical parishes in the former Camberwell. Since the Second World War, however, a combination of war damage, decay and the cost of maintenance, and falling congregations has resulted in the abandonment and demolition of many premises and the merger of both parishes and congregations.
Credit: Scott Hatton
TUM image id: 34036
The Angel (1960)
Credit: Ideal Homes
TUM image id: 1537131220
Choumert Square
TUM image id: 1549839309
St. James’s Rd. Bermondsey c1910.
TUM image id: 1557162129
Print-friendly version of this page