Kilburn Grange Park

Park in/near Kilburn, existing between 1913 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5439 -0.1975) 

Kilburn Grange Park

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Park · Kilburn · NW6 ·
MAY
13
2019
Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.

The park takes its name from a large mansion - The Grange - which was built in 1831 and stood facing Kilburn High Road where the Grange Cinema eventually stood.

The Grange, at the end of its time, stood at the centre of the poorest and most crowded part of Kilburn. The streets were the only open space outside the playgrounds of the Council schools.

The first hopes that the space could be made into a public park were raised in 1901 when the owner, Ada Peters, decided that she didn’t want a school built on the edge of her grounds, in Kingsgate Road. She encouraged local residents in the belief that they could purchase the grounds as a park. However, the London School Board had already bought the land in 1892, renting it back to the Peters family until the school was needed.

A local Grange Open Space Committee was formed in April 1901 to resist the ’mutilation’ of the grounds: the short-lived campaign gained popular support before collapsing in June 1901, as Mrs Peters first prevaricated and finally had to admit she couldn’t deliver. The School Board was forced to take her to court in 1902 to obtain possession of the site, and by October the foundations for Kingsgate School were laid.

Ada Peters died soon after and the legally as a result the Peters family regained possession of the Grange and its grounds. For a second time, plans supporting a park were made and meetings called.

A couple of weeks after Mrs Peters’s death, the local paper reported that the nine and a half acre estate was for sale. Agents acting on behalf of the Peters family contacted Hampstead Council to ask if the authority was interested in buying it as an open space, reminding them of the unsuccessful but hugely popular campaign of 1901. Councillors asked for a three month option to buy, giving them time to get an independent valuation of the property. The family refused an option to purchase and had decided the property would be publicly auctioned but by deferring the sale, they hoped this would give the Council ‘nearly the three months required.’

Councillors from both Hampstead and Willesden, the local MP accompanied by representatives of Middlesex County Council and the Metropolitan Gardens Association, outlined their viewpoint: "They desire to point out that unless the present opportunity of acquiring this estate is embraced all chance for providing an open space for Kilburn will disappear."

The Grand lands failed to meet their reserve of £35,000 at the auction held on 24 May 1910, which was mainly attended by developers. The top bid was only £30,000.

The Council re-opened negotiations with the Peters family, offering to buy eight and a half acres of the land plus an access strip from the High Road. The reply was conditional but positive: while the Peters wanted to sell the estate as one lot, they would be willing to sell the ‘park’ land for £18,000 so long as the plots fronting the High Road was sold at the same time and simultaneous contracts exchanged. This was still a considerable amount of money, but working on an anticipated £5000 from the LCC plus £4000 from their own funds and private donations (over £500 already collected), Hampstead Council again approached the agents acting for the Peters.

The family suddenly sold the land to Oswald Stoll, a major name in the entertainment world. He was interested in the Kilburn High Road frontages and had less interest in the land behind.

In October, Stoll’s agents contacted Hampstead Council. They offered five and a half acres of land at an asking price of £12,500. This would lie on either side of a proposed new road, running from the High Road across the estate, to make a junction with Hemstal Road. The Council agreed but only if the price was reduced to £10,000. Stoll’s agents agreed to the Council’s offer but their further condition was for Hampstead to pay half the cost of creating the new road.

Hampstead Council agreed to all Stoll’s terms for purchase and allowed a building licence for his proposed ‘Kilburn Coliseum.’ music hall. Entertainment advances meant that the impressively domed Grange Cinema opened in 1914 on the High Road corner of Messina Avenue, the march of modern technology having overtaken Stoll’s earlier plans for a music hall.

The land decision was taken out of Hampstead’s hands a few months later, when the LCC agreed to purchase around eight and a half acres of the Grange estate for £19,500 and maintain it as a park. Hampstead Council’s contribution was £5500 with Middlesex County Council and Willesden Council each pledging £1000.

Contracts were exchanged on 4 April 1911, and as originally conceived, the park covered seven acres. The LCC earmarked half an acre to enlarge the site of Kingsgate Road school and reserved an acre along Messina Avenue in case it was needed for ‘tramway purposes’, but agreed to add this to the park in 1914. The name ‘Kilburn Gardens’ was proposed for the park by the LCC, but Hampstead’s suggestion that the name of the old house should be perpetuated was adopted, hence it became ‘Kilburn Grange.’ The grounds were opened informally for much of the summer of 1911 while plans for its layout were completed. These included: "An ornamental garden, children’s playground, model yachting pond, band stand, footpaths, drainage, etc., and at a later stage, children’s gymnasium, tennis courts, bowling green, and accommodation for refreshments."

Existing trees were to be kept, and three entrances planned: from Hemstal Road, Messina Avenue and the High Road.

It took a while to complete the landscaping, during which time the grounds were generally closed; in fact nearly two years elapsed before the LCC informed Hampstead Council the park would be opened to the public on 1 May 1913.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


201402160103

201402160103
User unknown/public domain

NEARBY STREETS
Abbots Place, NW6 Abbots Place runs from Priory Road to West End Lane and Abbey Road.
Achilles Road, NW6 Achilles Road is a road in Fortune Green, NW6
Acol Road, NW6 Acol is not an acronym, but a village in Kent that gave its name to Acol Road, NW6.
Addison Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Agamemnon Road, NW6 Agamemnon Road runs from Ajax Road to Hillfield Road.
Ajax Road, NW6 Ajax Road was first developed in 1886.
Albert Road, NW6 Albert Road in NW6 escaped the mass renaming of Albert Roads in London.
Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Aldershot Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Aldred Road, NW6 Aldred Road is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Algernon Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Alpha Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ariel Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Avenue Mansions, NW3 Avenue Mansions is a street in Hampstead.
Barlow Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Berridge Mews, NW6 Berridge Mews is in Fortune Green, NW6
Birchington Road, NW6 Birchington Road runs from the Edgware Road to West End Lane.
Bradiston Road, W9 Bradiston Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Bransdale Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brassey Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Villas, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Broomsleigh Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Buckley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Burrard Road, NW6 Burrard Road runs north from Fortune Green Road.
Burton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Callcott Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cambridge Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cannon Hill, NW3 Cannon Hill is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Cannon Hill, NW6 Cannon Hill is a road in Fortune Green, NW6
Canterbury Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Canterbury Works, NW6 Canterbury Works is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Carlton Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Carlton Vale, NW6 Carlton Vale runs from the Edgware Road to Kilburn Lane.
Cathedral Walk, NW6 Cathedral Walk is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Cavendish Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Charteris Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Chichester Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cholmley Gardens, NW6 Cholmley Gardens is an unofficial road off of Mill Lane, Fortune Green, NW6
Cleve Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Colas Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cotleigh Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Coventry Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Croft Way, NW3 Croft Way is a street in Hampstead.
Croftway, NW3 Croftway is a street in Hampstead.
Denholme Road, W9 Denholme Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Denmark Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dennington Park Road, NW6 About 1881 Dennington Park Road was constructed on the line of Sweetbriar Walk, the old path to Lauriston Lodge.
Donaldson Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dornfell Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Douglas Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Douglas Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Drakes Courtyard, NW6 Drakes Courtyard is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Dunster Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879.
Dynham Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Esmond Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Exeter Parade, NW2 Exeter Parade is a street in Cricklewood.
Fortune Green Road, NW3 Fortune Green Road is a street in Hampstead.
Fortune Green Road, NW6 Fortune Green Road is the main road running through Fortune Green, NW6
Garlinge Road, NW2 Garlinge Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6.
Gladstone Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gladys Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Glastonbury Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Glenbrook Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Glengall Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gondar Gardens, NW6 Gondar Gardens is the westernmost street in Fortune Green, NW6
Gorefield Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grange Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grangeway, NW6 Grangeway, NW6 lies off of Messina Avenue.
Granville Road, NW6 Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road.
Greville Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hall Oak Walk, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Hartland Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Harvard Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hazelmere Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hemstal Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hermit Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hillfield Road, NW6 Hillfield Road is named for an old West Hampstead agricultural estate.
Hilltop Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Holmdale Road, NW6 Holmdale Road runs from Mill Lane to Dennington Park Road in West Hampstead.
Honiton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ingham Road, NW3 Ingham Road is a street in Hampstead.
Ingham Road, NW6 Weech Road is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Inglewood Road, NW6 Inglewood Road, NW6 was one of the last roads to be built in West End, West Hampstead.
Iverson Road, NW6 The first part of Iverson Road, NW6 was laid out in 1872.
Kenilworth Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 Kidderpore Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 Kidderpore Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Kilburn Bridge, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn High Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Lane, NW6 Kilburn Lane is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855
Kilburn Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Square, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kilburn Vale, NW6 Kilburn Vale leads to the Kilburn Vale estate.
Kingdon Road, NW6 Kingdon Road connects Sumatra Road and Dennington Park Road.
Kings Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Road, NW6 Kingsgate Road runs between Quex Road and Hemstal Road.
Kingsley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kylemore Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Liddell Road, NW6 Liddell Road was named after an old West Hampstead estate.
Linstead Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lonsdale Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Loveridge Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Loveridge Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lowfield Road, NW6 Lowfield Road is the northern extension of Kingsgate Road, NW6.
Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 Lyncroft Gardens is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Lynton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mallard Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Malvern Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Malvern Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maple Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Marban Road, W9 Marban Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Maygrove Road, NW6 Maygrove Road runs between the Edgware Road and Iverson Road, NW6
Mazenod Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Medley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Menelik Road, NW2 Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road.
Messina Avenue, NW6 Messina Avenue stretches from West End Lane over to Kilburn High Road.
Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead.
Mutrix Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Narcissus Road, NW6 Narcissus Road lies in London NW6
Nelson Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Netherwood Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Neville Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Neville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Norman Terrace, NW6 Norman Terrace is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Orestes Mews, NW6 Orestes Mews is a small cul-de-sac in Fortune Green, NW6
Oxford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Palmerston Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Pandora Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Parsifal Road, NW6 Parsifal Road runs from Finchley Road to Fortune Green Road.
Peel Precinct, NW6 Peel Precinct is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Pentland Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plympton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Princess Road, NW6 Princess Road was once known as Alexandra Road.
Priory Park Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Quex Mews, NW6 Quex Mews is named after an estate in Kent.
Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane.
Ravenshaw Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Rose Joan Mews, NW6 Rose Joan Mews is a small cul-de-sac in Fortune Green, NW6
Rowntree Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Rupert Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Saint Cuthberts Road, NW2 This is a street in the NW2 postcode area
Salmon Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Saltram Crescent, W9 Saltram Crescent is a street in Maida Vale.
Saltram Cresent, W9 Saltram Cresent is a street in Maida Vale.
Sandwell Crescent, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Sarre Road, NW2 Sarre Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Sherriff Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Smyrna Road, NW6 Smyrna Road is a small road to the west of West End Lane.
Solent Road, NW6 Solent Road is a street in West Hampstead.
Springfield Lane, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Springfield Walk, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
St Cuthbert?s Road, NW2 St Cuthbert?s Road is a street in Cricklewood.
St Julians Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Stafford Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Streatley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Studholme Court, NW3 Studholme Court is a street in Hampstead.
Sumatra Road, NW6 Sumatra Road, NW6 dates from the 1870s.
Tennyson Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Arches, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Mansions, NW6 The Mansions is a residential block on the north side of Mill Lane.
The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Torbay Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ulysses Road, NW6 Ulysses Road is one of a series of streets named after the Trojan War.
Victoria Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Victoria Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Waterloo Passage, NW6 Waterloo Passage is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 Wayne Kirkum Way is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Webheath, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Weech Road, NW6 Weech Road is a street in Fortune Green, NW6
Wells Court, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
West Cottages, NW6 West Cottages is a road in the NW6 postcode area
West End Lane, NW6 West End Lane is the main road running through West Hampstead.
Willesden Court, S43 This is a street in the S43 postcode area
Woodchurch Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Woodville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.
Print-friendly version of this page