Avenue Road, DA8

Road in/near Slade Green, existing between 1769 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.47581 0.1713, 51.475 0.171) 

Avenue Road, DA8

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · * · DA8 ·
December
2
2020
Avenue Road follows the line of the original path leading to Lesney Farm and the Erith Manor House.

In 1769 William Wheatley laid out an avenue of elms. Wheatley came from a prominent Erith family and was Lord of the Manor of Erith by then. He built a new manor house which was slightly blighted by a legend that the avenue was haunted by a headless woman being driven by a headless coachman and four black horses.

In 1858 the manor house was pulled down and the far Erith end of Avenue Road (around the railway lines) seems to have been developed at that time. In August 1874 the Wheatley estate was sold off, fetching £170 000 with the open land being sold for building development.

Even so, in the late nineteenth century with all of its pressure for new housing, the road developed only slowly.


Avenue Road, Erith looking towards Manor Road (1915) (click to enlarge)

The Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society store with its distinctive tower was built at the junction with Manor Road. The Erith Branch of the Society began in 1882 in a house known as Kent House, which stood on the same spot.

The Prince of Wales public house, since demolished and replaced by a McDonald's Restaurant also stood at the Erith end.

In the twentieth century, Avenue Road was extended west along the remaining line of elms. At the western end, in the post Second World War years, council housing was built by Erith Borough Council. The very first development of the new Lesney Farm Estate began with 28 new houses facing onto Avenue Road in 1946.




Main source: Ideal Homes
Further citations and sources



The top of Avenue Road, Erith looking down the hill, probably taken during the years around the First World War.
<br><SPAN STYLE=
The bend in the road would today be at the point that Buxton Road joins Avenue Road.' class='responsive_image'>

The top of Avenue Road, Erith looking down the hill, probably taken during the years around the First World War.

The bend in the road would today be at the point that Buxton Road joins Avenue Road.
Bexley Archives

NEARBY STREETS
Badlow Close, DA8 Badlow Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Beechfield Road, DA8 Beechfield Road runs between Avenue Road and Frinsted Road.
Brasted Road, DA8 Brasted Road runs north from Birling Road.
Broadoak Road, DA8 Broadoak Road connects Frinsted Road with Avenue Road.
Buxton Road, DA8 Buxton Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Callender Cottages, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Callender Road, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Clydon Close, DA8 Clydon Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Colyers Lane Primary School, DA8 Colyers Lane Primary School is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Coniston Close, DA8 Coniston Close dates from between 1946 and 1949.
Coniston Road, DA8 Coniston Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Debrabant Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Dell View Road, DA8 A street within the postcode
Detling Road, DA8 Detling Road connects Frinsted Road and Stuart Mantle Way.
Elm Grove, DA8 Elm Grove is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Emes Road, DA8 Emes Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Erith School, DA8 Erith School is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Filby Close, DA8 Filby Close was laid on land which was previously allotments.
Frinstead Road, DA8 Frinstead Road was one of the new roads designed for the 1946-1949 Lesney Farm Estate.
Frinsted Road, DA8 Frinsted Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Glebe Way, DA8 Glebe Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Grovebury Close, DA8 Grovebury Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hardwick Court, DA8 Hardwick Court is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hemsted Road, DA8 Hemsted Road dates from the immediate post-Second World War era.
Highstead Crescent, DA8 Highstead Crescent connects Frinsted Road and Birling Road.
Hind Crescent, DA8 Hind Crescent is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hurst Road, DA8 Hurst Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Kempton Close, DA8 Kempton Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Lambert Court, DA8 Lambert Court is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Larner Road, DA8 Larner Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Lesney Park Road, DA8 Lesney Park Road is a road in Erith.
Lesney Park, DA8 Lesney Park is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Ling Road, DA8 Ling Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Londonderry Parade, DA8 Londonderry Parade is a parade of shops behind Stelling Road.
Meyer Road, DA8 Meyer Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Mortimer Road, DA8 Mortimer Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Northumberland Heath Minor Injuries Unit, DA8 Northumberland Heath Minor Injuries Unit is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Park Crescent, DA8 Park Crescent is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Ramsden Road, DA8 Ramsden Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Randall Close, DA8 Randall Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Stelling Road, DA8 Stelling Road is a shopping area, forming a loop of roads with Frinsted Road and Staurt Mantle Way.
Stoneham Court, DA8 A street within the postcode
Stuart Mantle Rise, DA8 Stuart Mantle Way forms part of the Lesney Farm Estate.
Stuart Mantle Rise; Caernarvon Court, DA8 Caernarvon Court is on Stuart Mantle Way.
Stuart Mantle Way, DA8 Elizabeth Court can be found beside Stuart Mantle Way.
Twigg Close, DA8 Twigg Close dates from later than the other parts of the Lesney Farm Estate.
Valence Road, DA8 Valence Road forms a spine of the Lesney Farm Estate.
Vanacker Court, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Victoria Road, DA8 Victoria Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Ward Close, DA8 Ward Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Waterhead Close, DA8 Waterhead Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area


Slade Green

Slade Green was originally called Slades Green.

The area was sparsely populated and Slades Green had only 66 people in 1848 but in 1849 the North Kent Line was built. Slades Green gained a National School in 1868 and St Augustine’s Church opened in 1899.

Sladesgreen Farm was the centre of a market gardening area known locally as ’Cabbage Island’ located between Moat Lane (formerly Whitehall Lane) and Slade Green Road.

Slade Green railway station was opened on 1 July 1900 to serve the developing local community following the construction of a rail depot designed to service steam locomotives for South Eastern and Chatham Railway. It was at first called ’Slades Green’ and it was not until 1953 that this was changed to Slade Green.

By 1910 a complete ’railway village’ of 158 houses had been built. The significance of the village had increased by 1905 and that it had absorbed historically important Howbury Manor.

Explosions at a former Trench Warfare Filling Factory caused the death of 13 workers on 19 February 1924. A mass grave at Northumberland Heath stands in memory of the victims. Explosives operations ended in the 1960s.

During the Second World War, Slade Green was subject to a series of air raids, notably the night of 16 April 1941.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The top of Avenue Road, Erith looking down the hill, probably taken during the years around the First World War. The bend in the road would today be at the point that Buxton Road joins Avenue Road.
Credit: Bexley Archives
TUM image id: 1606930176
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lesney Park Road, Erith retains many of its mid-Victorian houses
Credit: Bexley Archives
TUM image id: 1606947343
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lesney Farm, Erith (1907) Just after the Second World War, Erith Borough bought the fam and replaced it with housing.
Old London postcard
TUM image id: 1606925106
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page