The Artichoke, a short distance from the junction with Allum Lane, is first mentioned in 1750 when it was kept by Philip Cogdell. It was here that a number of inquests took place including that of William Weare who was murdered in 1823.
The Birmingham to London stagecoach stopped here twice daily in the 1830s.
It recently ceased to be a pub and is now the area’s first Shtiebl, - a Jewish education and community centre.
»read full article
Source: Elstree & Borehamwood Museum