September 2014 archive

Middlesex: Bayswater

Bayswater has come to be the name for the whole of the former Paddington metropolitan borough south of the railway. The area described below, however, is the south-western part of Paddington, from the Kensington boundary eastward to Lancaster Gate Terrace and Eastbourne Terrace and from Bayswater Road northward to Bishop’s Bridge Road and Westbourne Grove. …

Continue reading

Middlesex: Belsize and Chalcotts

Belsize … Chalcots. Until the 19th century, the only building on the Hampstead portion of the Chalcots estate, apart from the two farmhouses in England’s Lane, was Steele’s Cottage, where Sir Richard Steele the essayist stayed in 1712 to evade his creditors. The house, which stood on a mound on the west side of Haverstock …

Continue reading

Middlesex: Hampstead and Paddington

A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington By T F T Baker, Diane K Bolton and Patricia E C Croot/ Edited by C R Elrington. These two parishes lay in the Holborn division of Ossulstone hundred, and before their inclusion in Greater London the parishes embraced the metropolitan borough of Hampstead …

Continue reading