February 2018 archive

City Street Names

City Street Names was written by Louis Zettersten in 1917. Louis Zettersten was a Swedish businessman working in the City at the very beginning of the 20th century. He spent his lunch breaks walking around and exploring the ‘Square Mile’. In order to better understand the history of what he saw he researched the origins of …

Continue reading

A Topographical Dictionary of London

To the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Common-Councilmen of The City of London; this work, illustrative of their Great City and its environs, The Metropolis of the British Empire, is dedicated with great respect, by their faithful and obedient servant, James Elmes. London January 1, 1831 Preface HAVING been much employed in the …

Continue reading

Ansdell Terrace, W8

Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North. In 1878, Thomas Hussey, a Kensington builder bought No. 13 Kensington Square. He built Ansdale Terrace as a cul-de-sac on the back garden. The houses were originally occupied by servants working in the main houses and local …

Continue reading

Elephant and Castle

CITATIONS: We have to thank Gillian Bebbington‘s ‘London Street Names’  (1972) for much of the source material for the Elephant and Castle. You will notice however that there’s not a lot here yet….

The Fascination of London: Holborn and Bloomsbury

HOLBORN AND BLOOMSBURY By Sir WALTER BESANT and G. E. MITTON. The district to be treated in this volume includes a good many parishes—namely, St. Giles-in-the-Fields; St. George, Bloomsbury; St. George the Martyr; St Andrew, Holborn; Hatton Garden, Saffron Hill; besides the two famous Inns of Court, Lincoln’s and Gray’s, and the remaining buildings of …

Continue reading

Nine Elms

The old hamlet of Nine Elms was the first settlement in Battersea travellers from London would encounter, after they branched off from the main road to Wandsworth (a turnpike from 1717) along the lane leading towards Battersea village and crossed the Heathwall brook. For some two hundred yards this lane ran parallel and close to …

Continue reading