December 2018 archive

The Bull and Bush

In the hamlet of North End stands the ” Bull and Bush ” Inn, the supposed date of which is 1645. For many years a farmhouse, it afterwards became the private residence of Hogarth, an interesting memorial of whom is the ring of aged yew-trees which are said to have been planted by the painter …

Continue reading

South Hampstead

CITATIONS First mention should go to Gillian Bebbington and her London street name histories.

Almonry

  This article combines two entries from the Victorian publication Curiosities of London: exhibiting the most rare and remarkable objects of interest in the metropolis; with nearly sixty years personal recollections by John Timbs, John (1801-1875). Publication date: 1867 Publisher London : J. C. Hotten ALMONRY, THE The Almonry, was named from its being the place where …

Continue reading

London Street Names by Gillan Bebbington

This project has used the excellent 1972 book by Gillian Bebbington, “London Street Names”. At time of writing, this book is sadly out of print. All of the streets linked to here are streets with a story behind them with most of the street descriptions deriving from the book. Abbey Orchard Street, SW1 Abbey Road, …

Continue reading

Vauxhall

The Vauxhall area is flat, part of the great low-lying plains of clay deposits formed by the River Thames in the London Basin. Historically the area was in two parts; to the north the Mawby Estate belonging to the Manor of Kennington and to the south the Caron House Estate belonging to Vauxhall Manor. Harleyford …

Continue reading

Some street name derivations

Abbey Orchard Street, SW1 – after a former orchard here attached to St Peter’s Abbey Abbey Street, SE1 – after Bermondsey Abbey, formerly located here Abchurch Lane, EC4N – after the adjacent St Mary Abchurch Abchurch Yard, EC4 – after the adjacent St Mary Abchurch Aberdeen Place, NW8 – this land was formerly owned by Harrow School; …

Continue reading

Wood Green farms

A map showing Wood Green’s rural past.

Queen’s Road, SE15

Queen’s Road extends eastwards from the end of Peckham High Street at the junctions of Consort Road and Meeting House Lane, to New Cross Road, a distance of approximately 1.5 km. Queen’s Road was formerly known as Deptford Lane, and was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria, who often passed through it on her way …

Continue reading

Camberwell New Road, SE5

Camberwell New Road is part of the A202. It goes from Camberwell to Kennington Oval. It was a turnpike road authorised by Act of Parliament in 1818, just after the construction in 1816 of the first Vauxhall Bridge, which it leads to, thus providing a second route from Camberwell to central London. Camberwell New Road …

Continue reading

Bayswater

Bayard’s Watering Place, recorded in 1380, was where the stream later called the Bayswater rivulet or Westbourne passed under the Uxbridge road. The name presumably denoted a place where horses were refreshed, either from the stream itself or from a spring such as the one in Conduit field which from 1439 supplied the City with …

Continue reading