January 2019 archive

Abbey Road, NW8

Abbey Road, ST. JOHN’S WOOD. John Gibson Lockhart, the editor of the Quarterly  Review (1826-1853), and biographer of Scott, lived at No. 44 a house in a garden  during the last years of his London life. He died at Abbotsford, December 1854.

Barking and Dagenham

Highlights of the conservation areas of Barking and Dagenham are gleaned from https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/conservation-areas-and-listed-buildings Barking Abbey Barking Abbey was built in 666 AD, sacked and pillaged in 870 AD by marauding Danes, and rebuilt in 970 AD by ‘Edgar the Peaceful’. The Manor of Barking was the oldest estate in Essex and remained viable until the …

Continue reading

Kingston

These descriptions largely derive from the Conservation Area publications of the London Borough of Kingston. Albany Mews, KT2 Albany Park Road, KT2 Avenue Elmers, KT6   Balaclava Road In 1894 houses began to be erected in Balaclava Road. Charles Adams, a local builder, was responsible for erecting all of the 17 villas. He constructed these …

Continue reading