Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.
July 2020 archive
Friern Barnet Road was Betstile Lane between 1549 and 1785, Southgate Lane in 1801, High Road in 1879, and its current name from 1889.
Astonville Street is the easternmost street of ’The Grid’.
Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village.
Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history.
Fludyer Street used to be a street which lay parallel to, and south of, Downing Street.
Wheatstone Road was the former name of the eastern section of Bonchurch Road.
The next in our series of London books to enjoy during lockdown is “Walking London’s History: 2000 years in 15 walks”. It’s a guide to the capital and its past. In fifteen walks, Tim Potter takes us through 2000 years of London’s history from the Romans to the Shard. Each walk explores a particular period …