The church of St Martin’s was built in 1865 at the expense of John D. Allcroft. Allcroft was a wealthy Shropshire gentleman who was concerned about the spiritual welfare of the hundreds of workers and artisans moving into the developing neighbourhood. A memorial to him was erected in the church after his death in 1893.
J. Sainsbury built an important North London depot in Allcroft Road in the 1880s.
After Second World War devastation in the area, the northern section of the road went under the bulldozer and disappeared.