The road finally allowed a direct route to the north from West Ealing. Previously, the only route in this direction was Drayton Green Lane, which twisted and turned around the fields and the ancient hamlet of Drayton.
Argyle Road wasn’t fully laid out until the early 20th century. John Campbell, Duke of Argyll owned Ealing Grove from 1775 until 1791, although this streetname derivation is tenuous. There is a Sutherland Avenue nearby and it may hint of a Scottish theme for road names.