The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century.
Category: Jubilee Line
On looking at the 1900 map of the area around Dollis Hill station, one might notice an immediate problem – Dollis Hill itself isn’t there at all. The nearby area, in those days, was called Dudden Hill. The Dollis Hill Estate was formed in the early 19th century, when the Finch family bought up a …
Sorry – this is planned to be a collection of Jubilee Line material but it not yet ready
West Ham is a district in East London, located just over six miles east of Charing Cross.
St John’s Wood
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323. After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic …
Trivia for every Underground station
Acton Town Alphabetically, Acton Town is the first tube station on the network. The first electric train on the District Line ran eastbound starting from Acton Town on 28 March 1905, The journey from Hammersmith to Acton Town (Piccadilly line) takes 5 minutes, 50 seconds, bypassing all of the intervening District Line stations on the …
Building the Stanmore Line, 1930 to 1932
A shorter version of this piece was written by Philip Grant as a “Secret History” article for the December 2007 issue of the “Brent Magazine”, to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Stanmore Line, now part of London Underground‟s Jubilee Line. The copyright remains with Brent Magazine and not The Underground Map. …
West Hampstead is an area in the London Borough of Camden in north-west London. Mainly defined by the railway stations of the same name, it is situated between Childs Hill to the north, Frognal and Hampstead to the north-east, Swiss Cottage to the east, South Hampstead to the south-east, Kilburn to the west and south-west, …