Category: Kensington

Market Court, W8

An early photograph of Gardeners Buildings and Market Court on the south side of Kensington High Street, three years before the site was demolished. The inhabitants pose for the camera. The second half of the eighteenth century saw the completion of continuous building along the High Street frontage between Colby House and King Street, and …

Continue reading

Blithfield Street, W8

  Blithfield Street is a quiet cul-de-sac running north from Stratford Road. The houses are three-storey terraced Victorian houses immediately abutting the pavement, painted in many different colours. The street is tree-lined and is particularly attractive when the blossom comes out in the Spring. Some of the houses have exterior shutters and first floor balconettes which …

Continue reading

Ansdell Terrace, W8

Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North. In 1878, Thomas Hussey, a Kensington builder bought No. 13 Kensington Square. He built Ansdale Terrace as a cul-de-sac on the back garden. The houses were originally occupied by servants working in the main houses and local …

Continue reading

Albert Place, W8

Albert Place is a cul-de-sac although there is a hidden footpath on the north side of the street leading to Cambridge Place. Between the Vallotton Estate and Kensington Road to the north, was a house with grounds owned by William Hoof, a successful builder. He entered into a deal with Vallotton to construct Albert Place …

Continue reading

Abingdon Villas, W8

Abingdon Villas runs between Earls Court Road and Marloes Road. The eastern section of the street consists of red-brick five-storey mansion blocks and the south side of three-storey white stucco houses. The western end has a mixture of three-storey houses, some of which are partially stuccoed and others only stuccoed up to first floor level. …

Continue reading

Albert Mews, SW7

Albert Mews is a small cobbled mews which has an attractive arched entrance leading onto Victoria Grove, and a gargoyle on the top of the arch. The east side consists of ground floor garages with living accommodation on the first floor. The entrance doors are on the first floor and they are approached along a first …

Continue reading

Argyll Road, W8

Many of the other roads in the estate run between Phillimore Gardens and Argyll Road. Argyll Road is broken up by these roads on its west side, but the east side is virtually one long, undivided terrace. The slope of the road means that the terrace is stepped every four houses or so. There is …

Continue reading

Kensington Streets

A guide to Kensington Streets first appeared on the, now defunct, Kensington Living website. All rights and copyright to the original material is retained by that website. Abingdon Road Abingdon Villas Adam and Eve Mews Albert Mews Albert Place Ansdell Terrace Argyll Road Aubrey Road Aubrey Walk Bedford Gardens Berkeley Gardens Blithfield Street Brunswick Gardens, …

Continue reading

Abingdon Road, W8

Abingdon Road stretches between Stratford Road and Kensington High Street. It was built upon land from the Nokes Estate – a farm which used to be in the area. The houses are mainly on three-storeys with basements, some entirely stuccoed and some stuccoed only up to first floor level. The street is tree-lined and very attractive. …

Continue reading

Nokes Estate, Kensington

Essentially, it included part of Earls Court Lane (now Earls Court Road) and Barrow’s Walk (now Marloes Road) and contained an orchard and several fields on which Abingdon Villas, Scarsdale Villas and neighbouring roads were later built . In 1593 it was owned by Robert Fenn and remained in that family until Sir Robert Fenn …

Continue reading