Category: NW10

Neasden

Neasden is situated in the middle of Brent. It borders on many other districts in the Borough, including Wembley, Kingsbury, Dollis Hill and Willesden. The name Neasden means ‘the nose-shaped hill’ in Anglo-Saxon. The original Anglo-Saxon settlement was on a well-drained and well-watered site on the western end of the Dollis Hill ridge. A charter …

Continue reading

Old Oak

Canalside House, 383 Ladbroke Grove. Headquarters of c.1928 for the Gas Light and Coke Company. A long block in the Neo-Georgian style, Canalside House is of fifteen bays and three storeys of stock brick with ashlar dressings. The building is today managed by Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea as office and meeting space for …

Continue reading

Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century

Notting Hill in Bygone Days by Florence Gladstone CHAPTER THREE IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY The commencement of the village of Kensington Gravel Pits has already been described. Under present conditions it is difficult to realize how countrified the place remained during the whole of the eighteenth century. In Kip’s Britannia Illustrata, published in 1714, there …

Continue reading

Kensal Green

The first part of the name Kensal Green was recorded as Kingisholt, the king’s wood, in 1253, and the whole name in 1550. Kensal Green was for long a very remote area, straddling the Harrow Road. The place was depicted in 1599 as a broad green at the junction of Harrow Road with Kilburn Lane, …

Continue reading