Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John’s Wood to West Hampstead.
Alexandra Road was built after the marriage of the Prince of Wales.
Allitsen Road is a road in St John’s Wood, dating from the 1820s.
Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history.
The area originated as a Saxon and medieval settlement in the manor of Lillestone close to the Roman Watling Street. It was described as a hamlet in the Domesday book of 1086, centred around Bell Lane (now Bell Street). Part of the area was developed by the Portman Estate after they acquired the land in …
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323. After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic …