Category: W2

Bayswater

Bayard’s Watering Place, recorded in 1380, was where the stream later called the Bayswater rivulet or Westbourne passed under the Uxbridge road. The name presumably denoted a place where horses were refreshed, either from the stream itself or from a spring such as the one in Conduit field which from 1439 supplied the City with …

Continue reading

Queensway, W2

The conservation area lies along the course of the former Westbourne Green Lane, which linked the Uxbridge (now Bayswater) Road with the village of Westbourne Green. A series of name changes saw the route become first Black Lion Lane, then Queens Road, and finally Queensway. At the start of the nineteenth century the area was …

Continue reading

Westbourne Park

The Westbourne area (and parts of Kensington adjacent to here) was laid out and developed mostly around 1850-1855 following the earlier rapid urbanisation of Bayswater and Paddington to the south and east. Westbourne Grove itself still crossed open fields as late as 1840. More recent developments include 32 Newton Road, a modern detached house by …

Continue reading

1766: Hyde Park

A PLAN of HYDE-PARK with the CITY and LIBERTIES of WESTMINSTER &c. Shewing the several IMPROVEMENTS propos’d by architect John Gwynn (1766). This plan shows renovations in Hyde Park and around Westminster. Two Royal palaces have been planned, in Hyde Park and Green Park. The red lines show an intention to regularise the street plan, replacing …

Continue reading

1729: Upton Farm, Bayswater

Click on the markers to access locations on the main website In 1710, Robert Pollard was the owner of the old buildings of Bayard’s Watering Place and 6 acres of land in what had once been common fields of Westbourne Green. He sold them to Thomas Upton and his wife Jane in 1725, and they …

Continue reading

1828: Paddington

Entitled “Plan of The Parish of Paddington in the County of Middlesex by George Gutch 1828. Copyright and credit: Crace Connection, The British Library  

1742: Paddington

Surveyed by William Braniel, Land Surveyor to the Duke of Montague.

Royal Oak in 1900

There are a few Underground stations that take their names from a public house. The two most obvious ones are Swiss Cottage and Elephant and Castle. Royal Oak is less obvious and perhaps the most obscure is Manor House. The Royal Oak public house stood at the southern end of what is now Porchester Road …

Continue reading

The Paddington Canal Murder

George Forster was found guilty of murdering his wife and child by drowning them in Paddington Canal, London. At his trial the events were reconstructed. Forster’s mother in law recounted that her daughter and grandchild had left her house to see Forster at 4pm on Saturday 4 December 1802. Joseph Bradfield, in whose house Forster lodged, …

Continue reading

Notting Hill and Bayswater

Extract below originally appeared in pages 177-188 of Edward Walford, ‘Notting Hill and Bayswater’, in Old and New London: Volume 5 (London, 1878). British History Online.   As soon as ever we quit the precincts of Kensington proper, and cross the Uxbridge Road, we become painfully conscious of a change. We have left the “Old …

Continue reading