This area was also part of the land given to Geoffrey de Mandeville by William the Conqueror and also became part of Enfield Chase.
A map of 1776 shows “Cockfosters” centred on the present junction of Chalk Lane/Games Road with a messuage (house plus outbuildings) on West Farm. The name Cockfosters is believed to be derived from the title of the chief forester for Enfield Chase.
Cockfosters evolved as a village from the late 18th century onwards comprising several estates and residential dwellings for estate workers at Trent Park.
Source: London Borough of Barnet Conservation Area guide to Monken Hadley