According to 16th-century records, Courtfield Gardens was built on a vast open meadow known as Great Courtfield. This meadow was surrounded by fertile land and small farms and was part of a large area of land that extended from Cromwell Road to The Old Brompton Road in one direction, and from Gloucester Road to Earl’s Court Road in the other direction. Great Courtfield was included in the Earl’s Court ’manor’.
During the 18th century, Earl’s Court House, a grand manor house, was constructed on the land that is now the western terrace of Barkston Gardens. This building replaced an extensive dwelling that was described in 1705 as having fountains, a marble-tiled dairy, engines for water, and impressive gates at its entrance.
In the 19th century, the area surrounding Courtfield Gardens was developed with rows of terraced houses, as the demand for housing in London grew. Earl’s Court House was demolished in the middle of the century to make way for the development of Barkston Gardens, which is located just west of Courtfield Gardens.
In 1865, the cost of land for building houses in the area around Courtfield Gardens increased significantly. This, combined with the expansion of the Metropolitan Railway Line, prompted Robert Gunter and his brother James to make a significant decision. They sold a portion of their family’s land to allow for the construction of the railway line and the establishment of the first Earl’s Court Station.
During the 20th century, the area underwent significant changes as the city continued to expand. Many of the older buildings were demolished to make way for newer developments, and the area around Courtfield Gardens became increasingly urbanised.
Today, Courtfield Gardens is a quiet residential street located in the heart of Earl’s Court. The area is popular with both locals and visitors due to its close proximity to many of London’s top attractions, including the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum, and the Royal Albert Hall.