Hampton Wick was formerly a village on the Thames.
It was dominated by market gardening until well into the twentieth century. Its development was confined by Bushy Park and Hampton Court Park to its west, and the river to its east.
Kingston Bridge, the first bridge linking the High Street with Kingston upon Thames dates from about 1219 and replaced a Roman ford.
The architect Edward Lapidge designed a church, St John’s Hampton Wick, built in 1831.