Hopton’s Almshouses were built around 1749 for “twenty-six decayed house-keepers, each to have an upper and lower room with £10 per annum and a chaldron of coals.” They have been occupied continuously since July 1752. They were ultimately financed by Charles Hopton – a wealthy merchant and a member of the Guild of Fishmongers. On his death, he left a large sum of money to his sister, and on her death the money was used to build the Almshouses.
Bankside became increasingly industrial as the 19th century progressed and the work it provided was an important factor behind population growth at that time.
Hopton Street had been previously renamed to be part of Holland Street, prior to its modern renaming.