The road dates from before the suburbanisation of the area, as Mayplace Lane and then Mayplace Road. Mayplace Farm lay along its side as the lodge to Martens Grove was also on the road. The Bexley heath windmill stood where Erith Road and Mayplace Road now meet.
The Wates building company largely laid out the Barnehurst Park Estate in 1933 on land to the south of the road. It was one of the most affordable new estates in the London area at the time.
Crayford Urban District Council acquired May Place itself in 1938 – now part of the clubhouse for Barnehurst golf course.