Under the mature London plane trees of Orange Square is a statue of a young Mozart by Philip Jackson. Mozart as an eight year old lived at 180 Ebury Street in 1764 and 1765 while on a grand tour of Europe with his father. There, the child prodigy composed his first two symphonies.
In 1764, Orange Square – then called Pimlico Green – was an open area with sheep and donkeys grazing, and market gardens providing local vegetables.
Orange Square has a pub called The Orange which started as the Orange Coffee House and Tavern in 1776.
A timber yard was built around 1839 by John Newson who lived and worked from 19 Bloomfield Terrace. He built the houses of Bloomfield Terrace, called after the original name of his wife as well as some in the neighbouring streets of Ebury Street and Bourne Street. The shops on Pimlico Road, which date from the early 1840s are the oldest surviving buildings on Orange Square. Around this time the informal name Pimlico Green became Orange Square, named after the tavern.
On Saturdays Orange Square becomes transformed into a popular farmer’s market.