Queen’s Road extends eastwards from the end of Peckham High Street at the junctions of Consort Road and Meeting House Lane, to New Cross Road, a distance of approximately 1.5 km. Queen’s Road was formerly known as Deptford Lane, and was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria, who often passed through it on her way to the Royal Naval School at New Cross.
The first branded cigarettes manufactured in Britain were made at a factory on Deptford Lane around 1859 by Robert Peacock Gloag. The brand, Sweet Threes, had a yellowish tissue paper filled with ground tobacco. Gloag had been paymaster to the Turkish forces during the Crimean War (1853–1856), where he is purported to have seen locals smoking. Gloags business on Deptford Lane is largely responsible for the popularity of the cigarette in England today.
In 1926 Queen’s Road saw the first holistic health centre in Britain, known as the Pioneer, later known as The Peckham Experiment. It was purposefully located in the area due to the deprived nature of the area, the low income and poor level of education of the population.