Park Grove (1934)
Image dated 1934
Print-friendly version of this page Park GroveThe name of Barnehurst is derived from the name of the landowner family and the Saxon word for woodland: ’hurst’.
was the first road to be laid out in the 1934 Martens Grove Estate.
The estate was built by local builder called Ayling, and its building came after the grounds of Martens Grove - a large 19th century house - were shorn of most of the mature trees.
, here shown is it was being first laid out, had a junction with Watling Street
where trams ran to Crayford and Dartford, vital connections for future new residents.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Future junction of Park Grove and Watling Street, Barnehurst, 1934
In 1745, Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick the heiress to May Place and inherited the estate in 1750. The family owned May Place until 1938 when it was sold to the local council.
The name Barnehurst came into being once a station had been proposed in Conduit Wood for the Bexley Heath Railway Company on their 1895 railway. It crossed the May Place Estate, then owned by Colonel Frederick Barne. At that time the area now known as Barnehurst was part of the Parish of Crayford, consisting of a mix of farmland and market gardens, with cherry, apple and plum orchards, with wood and parkland belonging to the estates of May Place, Martens Grove and Oakwood. The small population was concentrated along and to the south of Mayplace Road.
At first, the railway failed to attract large scale house developers - passenger numbers were small only boosted at weekends by golfers travelling to the new Barnehurst Golf Course opened in 1903. Its club house the old mansion of May Place was destroyed by fire in 1959. The electrification of the Bexleyheath Line in 1926 signalled the start of the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s.