Print-friendly version of this page Bayswater Rivulet The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River Kilburn Bridge Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne. Kilburn High Road What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road. Kilburn Library Kilburn Library on Kilburn High Road is one of two sites called Kilburn Library, the other being in Salusbury Road, NW6. Kilburn Park Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington. Kilburn Park Farm Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road. Kilburn Wells Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s. Maida Vale Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806. Red Lion The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road. St Augustine’s, Kilburn St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England. Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858. Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East. Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Manor Mews, NW6 Manor Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Prospect Place, NW6 Prospect Place was a group of houses built fronting Edgware Road south of the junction with West End Lane. Rudolph Road, NW6 Rudolph Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
The area was developed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the early 19th century as middle class housing. The main building started in the mid 19th century and from the 1860s red brick was used. The first mansion blocks were completed in 1897.
Maida Vale nowadays makes up most of the W9 postal district - the southern part of Maida Vale at the junction of Paddington Basin with Regent's Canal, with many houseboats, is known as Little Venice. The area to the south-west of Maida Vale, at the western end of Elgin Avenue, was historically known as Maida Hill
Maida Vale tube station was opened on 6 June 1915, on the Bakerloo Line.