Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7

Road maybe laid out between the wars- in this area, buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.4684 0.17253) 

Colyers Lane Primary School, DA7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Crayford · DA7 ·
November
30
2017

Colyers Lane Primary School is a road in the DA7 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Appledore Avenue, DA7 Appledore Avenue was built as part of the ’Barnehurst Park Estate’ of New Ideal Homesteads Ltd.
Barnehurst Avenue, DA7 Barnehurst Avenue runs north from Merewood Road up to the Erith Road.
Beechcroft Avenue, DA7 Beechcroft Avenue is one of a series of north-south roads named alphabetically.
Birling Road, DA8 Birling Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Brasted Road, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Brendon Close, DA8 Brendon Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Castleton Avenue, DA7 Castleton Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Chesworth Close, DA8 Chesworth Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Cheviot Close, DA7 Cheviot Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Chiltern Close, DA7 Chiltern Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Chipstead Road, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Colyers Close, DA8 Colyers Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Colyers Lane, DA8 Colyers Lane is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Colyers Walk, DA8 Colyers Walk is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Cotswold Close, DA7 Cotswold Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Cumbrian Avenue, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Defoe Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Downbank Avenue, DA7 Downbank Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Doyle Close, DA8 Doyle Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Drummond Close, DA8 Drummond Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
East Holme, DA8 East Holme is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Edendale Road, DA7 Edendale Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Edendale Road, DA8 Edendale Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Elmstead Road, DA8 Elmstead Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Elmsted Crescent, DA16 Elmsted Crescent is a road in the DA16 postcode area
Eversley Avenue, DA7 Eversley Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Fairford Avenue, DA7 Fairford Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Halstead Road, DA8 Halstead Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Heath Way, DA8 Heath Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Heathway, DA8 Heathway is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hemsted Road, DA8 Hemsted Road is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Highstead Crescent, DA8 Highstead Crescent is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Hurstwood Avenue, DA7 Hurstwood Avenue is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Hurstwood Avenue, DA8 Hurstwood Avenue is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Largo Walk, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Mendip Road, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Myrtle Close, DA8 Myrtle Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Normandy Way, DA8 Normandy Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Northumberland Way, DA8 Northumberland Way is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Peartree Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Pennine Way, DA7 Pennine Way is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Quantock Road, DA7 Quantock Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Ranworth Close, DA7 Ranworth Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Ranworth Close, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Selkirk Drive, DA8 Selkirk Drive is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Solutions Ltd, DA8 A street within the DA8 postcode
Swallow Close, DA7 Swallow Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Swallow Close, DA8 Swallow Close is a road in the DA8 postcode area
Venners Close, DA7 Venners Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Wessex Drive, DA8 Wessex Drive is a road in the DA8 postcode area


Crayford

Crayford was combined with other local areas to form the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.


Crayford has a long and interesting history. The area was first mentioned in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle (c.891 - 924), which states that the Britons fought the Jutes at the Battle of Creganford in 457. The Domesday Book (1086) records that in Crayford "there is a church", implying that there was a well established settlement in the area by that time. The Norman Church of St Paulinus, which still stands on top of Crayford Hill overlooking the town, was built in 1100.

The original stimulus for settlement in the area was the fact that the River Cray could be forded at this point - and "Cray-ford" became the settlement’s name.

Crayford Manor House stands just to the north-west of St Paulinus Church, probably in roughly the same position as the first manor house, which was established in the 14th century. Crayford actually contained two manors, those of Howbury and Newbury.

Several large houses once stood in the area, including Oakwood, Shenstone and May Place. Little evidence remains of these, although part of the last house called May Place is now incorporated into the clubhouse of Barnehurst Golf Course.

The house was for many years the seat of the lord of the manor and between 1694 and 1707 was the home of Sir Cloudesley Shovell (1650 - 1707), Commander in Chief of the Navy who took part in the capture of Gibraltar in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. Three years later, after his ship the Association was wrecked off the Isles of Scilly, he was strangled for the rings he wore, by a fisherwoman.

The presence of the river in the town led to the growth of industries such as tanning and silk-making, which need a constant supply of free-flowing fresh water. The tannery has long since gone, but the silk-printing works of David Evans Ltd, established in 1843, remain in the town. Swaislands was another long-established local printing firm. It was taken over by GP & J Baker who closed the works only in 1961.

In the early years of the 19th century the huge armaments firm Vickers, originally from Sheffield, moved into the area. In the few short years of the First World War Vickers’ workforce grew from 300 to 14,000. Vickers built an estate, the Crayford Garden Suburb, to the east of the town to house the armaments workers. Whilst all that remains of the Vickers factory today is the clocktower, surrounded by modern retail development, the houses are still very much in evidence and are sought after as homes because of the quality of construction. This area, which borders on Dartford and the County of Kent, became known as Barnes Cray after a prominent local family (the Barnes).

Other industries in the area included barge building in Crayford Creek, brickmaking and motor-car production by the Siddeley Autocar Company, which had its registered works at Crayford in 1902.

After the First World War the production of armaments was reduced, but industry continued to thrive and the local community prospered on the trade brought to the area as a result of the influx of workers during the war. The Princesses Theatre, opened in 1916 on the riverside, was built specifically to entertain these workers but unfortunately burnt to the ground within six months. It was subsequently rebuilt to exactly the same specifications but presumably with improved fire-protection measures!

In 1920 Crayford became an urban district. As in most other local areas, the 1930s saw a period of busy housebuilding, although this was perhaps not as extensive in Crayford as it was elsewhere. Houses were built mostly by local builders such as New Ideal Homesteads and W.H. Wedlock.

The population in the urban district almost doubled in the 20 years to 1951, from 15,896 in 1931 to 27,950 in 1951.

Housebuilding was interrupted by the Second World War, which affected Crayford badly because the presence of the Royal Arsenal nearby (see Thamesmead) and of the armaments works in the town made Crayford an obvious target for enemy bombers.

The town of Crayford today revolves around the retail trade, and has a large Sainsbury’s hypermarket at its centre. It is home to a substantial commuter population, who travel to London and nearby business and retail centres such as Bexleyheath and the newly opened Bluewater shopping park near Dartford.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Erith High Street, DA8
TUM image id: 1466529309
Trolley bus (1935)
TUM image id: 1557150459
Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
TUM image id: 1557161730
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Print-friendly version of this page